Sunday, January 10, 2021

OBX Day 3-4 (3-4Jan2021)

Although the weather was still not great, my luck with birds continued on Day 3.  I chose to start the day at Alligator to try for some closer pics of the continuing Rough-legged Hawk.  I ended up finding it again but alas it was so far out I will spare you the pics from that day.  While searching the fields, a large group of Goldfinch were feasting on the amber waves of grain.  I combed through them to look for Common Redpolls but couldn't find any.




Merlin


Northern Harriers were everywhere but somehow I didn't come away with any great shots.


Lincoln's Sparrow!  Nice to get a self found semi-rare bird.


Song Sparrow

My stomach rumbled and moved me back to get my lunch and try my luck back on the banks.  While noshing at the VRBO on food I brought with me from Tidal Creek Co-op, I saw an alert of a Snowy Owl down at Pea Island.  It didn't take long to get down there and find the group of cars parked to look at the owl.  Unfortunately for Snowy Owls in the winter out of range, they do not blend in with their surroundings and frequently will attract gawkers like me.


This photo was actually taken from the New Inlet bridge.  Although there were some photographers walking closer and flushing it from its perch, I decided to stay on the road to minimize the impact to the bird, and the shots came out good despite a heavy crop.


I heard yesterday that it was seen again in Hatteras Village.


Dunlin doing toe exercises.

Over the moon from the Owl Sighting, I moved over to North Pond and got close and personal with some ducks.  The wind must have been just right for pushing water against the southern bulkhead which was causing upwelling and bringing nutrients and food items up for ducks to eat.  This meant that species that are normally skittish were willing to risk staying close while the numerous birders walked up and down the dyke.


American Coot


Nice comparison of a male Redhead and male Canvasback.


Canvasback


Female Canvasback


American Wigeon


Bufflehead



Scaup can be tricky but due to the extensive white around the bill on this female, I am calling it a Greater.  North Pond is one of the better places in the state to get Greater Scaup. I tried Merlin Bird ID just for giggles and it also gave Greater as the number 1 pick.  


Ring-necked Duck - the ring around the neck is not obvious and can only be seen in certain poses.


The head shape on this bird was also indicative of Greater Scaup which has a more round profile.


Redhead


Ruddy Duck


Final picture of the Greater Scaup - not the large "nail" on the tip of the bill and the head is wider than you would expect on a Lesser Scaup which is quite narrow.


Nessie!


Oh wait... its just a Pied-billed Grebe.


Lesser Black-backed Gull on the beach across from North Pond.


Blue Phase Snow Goose family.


The 4th started out much the same way but I finally bagged some recognizable pics of the Rough-legged Hawk despite it being way off in the fields again.



Note the diagnostic "wrist patches".

For the early afternoon I headed over to Jeff and Joan's to see if the Rufous Hummingbird they had was around.  Unfortunately it was not!  But I had a few consolation photos.


I need to get a nice drip like this, the Red-breasted Nuthatches and Chickadees were loving it.


A young Ruby-throated Hummingbird enjoyed the feeders and we thought we heard the Rufous vocalize but we never got eyes on it.  "We" was myself, Matt and Archie who were also looking for it and while we waited we exchanged some banter.  Matt and Archie are young phenom birders going to Cornell for the Biology program.


More on why I always like to exchange pleasantries with other birders albeit socially distant in a little.  

As a trip to the OBX is never complete without a walk out on Jennette's Pier, I made the annual pilgrimage .  The birds were not very plentiful as the wind had a little too much west on it and was blowing all the birds out to sea.


I know horrible photo, but it was nice to see my first Surf and White-winged Scoter in the same flock!  Not sure if the left bird is a Black Scoter, if it was I had a hat trick!


I love watching the Bottle-nosed Dolphins play in the surf.  This was a young one.


Great Black-backed Gull

As I was leaving the parking lot, Matt and Archie instant messaged me that they had found the Black-throated Gray Warbler that had not been seen in a week at the north end of Roanoke Island!  I was only 15 min away and they were nice enough to stay on the bird for me while I high-tailed it over.


Booyahkasha!


Many birders have been enjoying this bird since.  Thanks to Matt and Archie! And of course Jeff L for originally finding it on the Xmas bird count.

A great way to end Day 4!  One more day worth of photos on the banks and on the way home in the next installment.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment