Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Family Trip to Black Balsam (08-11Apr2021)

We haven't traveled anywhere really since the pandemic started with the exception of one VRBO in the mountains, so now that we have our first dose of vaccine and a couple days off from work, we decided to try our first stay at the Pisgah Inn.  I have always wanted to give it a try, it being the only hotel at elevation on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I have stayed in the adjacent campground which is still closed.  

I managed to convince the family to allow a short detour on the way up to try for the Brewer's Blackbird and Upland Sandpiper that Martina found in Union County but sadly dipped on both.

This Horned Lark was the only consolation.

I booked our first night in Hendersonville so we didn't have to drive 6 hours in one shot and also so I could hit up Jackson Park in the morning before heading up.  I knew it was on the early side but I was shocked to not bag even one neotropical migrant, plus the whole park was flooded.


This Blue-winged Teal seemed to like the flood situation but the birds I wanted were not too happy.


As we drove to Asheville for lunch, I stopped for a short walk through the fields at Hooper Lane to try for the American Golden Plover and when I got there a tractor had scared it off.  0/4 on my attempts so far.

The big win was lunch at Chai Pani in Asheville.  They are all set up for remote ordering via App and then tables set up outside on the street.  I got the Sloppy Jai which is what it sounds like, an Indian street food version of a Sloppy Joe.  Delicious!

We finally headed up on the parkway and after checking into the Pisgah Inn, we made a beeline for Black Balsam Knob and the Art Loeb Trail which is our favorite family hike in NC.  

Half way to the trailhead, I had to slam on the breaks for this chicken crossing the road!


Ruffed Grouse!  I have heard stories of them casually crossing the BRP but never seen one do it.  Pardon the poor quality of the pic, it was taken through the windshield and we had a person behind us waiting for us to move.

The hike up Black Balsam was awesome.  I am doing a step challenge for work and ended up with 24k steps on Friday which more than made up for the low count the day before. At the top, we had a visit from this guy...


Common Raven coming in for a landing.


It must have spotted this apple core that a hiker had discarded.



I neglected to take scenery pics from Black Balsam Knob but here is one from down the parkway.  If you look closely you can see some people up there, I will have to take that hike someday.

After a nice takeout meal from the Pisgah Inn restaurant which is very good by the way, I wrangled Melissa into trying for Saw Whets and Woodcocks with me.  The owls were not cooperative but this American Woodcock was displaying like crazy.


I don't really think of bird bills as pliable but when "peenting" the woodcock can totally bend the bill for extra effect.


It was nice to finally close the differential on this species I had seen already for the year but hadn't photographed.


I was worried that I was bothering him with the flash but after displaying in the air he kept coming back to the same spot right next to us even though there was plenty of grass around.

Saturday was a total wash!  It rained pretty much all day.  We started the day with a hike at Pink Beds and it was relatively nice until it starting pissing rain half way through the hike.  Luckily I had brought a large umbrella and kept my camera dry.  I actually did get a Louisiana Waterthrush and Blackburnian Warbler on the hike but wasn't able to get pics so I didn't make a checklist.


White-breasted Nuthatch

We had lunch in Brevard at the Square Root which was quite yummy and headed back up the mountain for some family Netflix time while we waited out the rain.  In the evening the rain finally moved through and we watched a beautiful sunset from the Pisgah Ridge.



Rainbows are never as impressive on camera as they are in real life.  Here is a pic from my iPhone.


My long lens actually produced a decent landscape for once!








Yes it was cold that night as the front moved past.

We tried one more time for owls this time at the top of Devil's Courthouse.


No luck with Saw Whets but we got some good family time in.  George looks annoyed but he was just doing his best Blue Steel face.

In the morning the weather was perfect but we had a long drive and had to make it home before the kennel closed so I only got about an hour of birding in at Davidson Campground near Sliding Rock.  The birdsong was absolutely symphonic and although there were plenty Parulas there were little else in the way of neotropical migrants.


So in summary, its too early for good birding but just right for a family focused trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment