Saturday, September 18, 2021

August Migrants (28Aug2021)

I had one full day at the end of August to chase birds and look for warblers so I picked the spot that everyone has been visiting lately, Brumley North up in Durham.  It did not disappoint despite being a pretty hot day.


The most cooperative Northern Waterthrush ever.



Prothonotary Warbler





This Northern Waterthrush was showing me his best field mark with the closely packed streaks on its throat.



Yellow-billed Cuckoo


Northern Pearly-Eye



Yellow-throated Vireo


Chestnut-sided Warbler


YT Vireo


Blue-winged Warbler!  Not the best shot but I never seen to get good ones of this species.




Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - shot only included to showcase the moderate primary projection which is key for ID.  Most other empids can be eliminated by the other field marks but the primary projection pretty much eliminates Least Fly.


Well defined eye-ring, yellow wash throughout underside including throat and nice buffy, well-defined wing bars.


Since I was close enough, I decided to jam up to Howerton Road in Guilford County to see if the swallow flocks were still around and it didn't take long to find my target bird.


Bank Swallow!


Tree Swallow with Bank


Here was a less defined Bank but the size difference was notable.


Tree Swallows


Barn Swallow with Trees.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to live mid-state so that the coast and mountains were equidistant but other times I am happy to be living on the coast so I can take my evening or morning walks on the beach.  Not to mention the great waves we have been getting lately.


No comments:

Post a Comment