Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Bits and Bobs (14-16Jan2021)

Here are some random pics from around town as a preamble to my next post which will be a nice chase up to the triangle area. 


Willet hanging out on the Kure Beach pier which is a quality pier and I need to visit more.  We had a couple Harlequin Ducks there several years back.


Bonaparte's Gull - I always seem compelled to photograph this species whenever they fly by. The most elegant of the gulls around here.


Feral Rock Pigeon - When it's cold, bird like to fluff up.  Not sure about the biologic reasoning behind this.  Seems counterintuitive to me as I would think cold air would be able to get under the feathers.


Ruddy Turnstone

Red-breasted Merganser


This large Cooper's Hawk frequently hangs out around Johnnie Mercer's Pier and terrorizes the doves and pigeons.



Gadwall - meanwhile at Ashley High School ponds I have been keeping an eye open for the Mottled Duck from last year but no dice.


Chipping Sparrow

Red-shouldered Hawks are plentiful around Ashley High School as they like to perch on the fences.



Belted Kingfishers have a knack for flying away just before you snap a pic so I shot this one from a distance.



Mallards


American Crow - Usually I have a nice mix of American and Fish Crows in Wilmington but lately they have all been American Crows.


Red-headed Woodpecker at Oleander Gardens.


Dark-eyed Junco - Oleander Gardens


Wood Duck - Airlie Gardens.


The Wilson's Warbler that I found back in December is still hanging out at Airlie Gardens and tons of folks have seen him.  Best self-found bird so far for me this year, even if I did originally find it last year I am still counting it in the self found category.  


Common Loon - Masonboro Inlet.



Ring-billed Gull - Masonboro Inlet.


Northern Gannet numbers are starting to ramp up.

Next installment is the trip to see Evening Grosbeaks in Hillsborough, so don't miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment