Thursday, November 19, 2015

Limpkin - Aramus guarauno (29Jul2015)

You have about the same odds seeing a Limpkin in North Carolina as you do getting struck by lightning.  However, on the 29th day of July, the unlikely happened.  Of course I had help, the bird was found by someone else the day before.  I have seen Limpkins in Florida and the Bahamas but seeing a bird that is not expected in your state just kicks it up another notch.  Another thing that made this bird even sweeter, I had to haul my kayak up about 4 hours west, then kayak up a river for a couple hours.

When I got to the spot the bird was reported, it was no where to be seen.  I spoke to a local and he said he knew of small creek about a quarter mile up the river that could be good habitat for the Limpkin.  Since I have already spent half a day on the bird, I figured I might as well try. So I paddled up river. A quarter of a mile turned into a mile but I found the creek and eventually spotted the bird.  These kinds of adventures are a major part of why finding birds is so much fun.





No comments:

Post a Comment