Saturday, February 17, 2024

Were-grebes of London and a Red-cockaded WP (05-10Feb2024)

Work had me going to London this past week but I only got outside a few times due to typical UK weather and a packed work schedule.  I stayed at the Syon Park Hilton which is not really close to any of the good London parks except Syon Park which is closed in the winter.  Bad luck!  However, the hotel was next to a  trout pond which had a few good birds.


Little Grebe was actually a lifer for me.

Common Wood-Pigeons are conspicuous and everywhere.


I walked about a mile to the Thames River and there were about a thousand Black-headed Gulls but not much else.


Gray Heron - I feel like I am getting familiar enough with this species that I will be able to pick one out if we get one back home.


European Robins are cute as a button and sing all year long.


Long-tailed Tits are also very cute but there is something about them that seems off. I think the color scheme is just weird.


Eurasian Blackbird - the one that the Beatles were singing about.


Tufted Duck


Eurasian Green Woodpecker - I had one of these in Norway but it was a new one for the UK.


Great Tit


Stock Dove

Eurasian Jackdaws

Rose-ringed Parakeets are everywhere in London and now other cities in EU too.



Egyptian Goose

On the last full day I had some time to play around but the weather was horrible and I barely got out.

Back at home I managed to make it up to Holly Shelter after my survey at Figure 8 and found a nice flock of Red-Cockaded WPs.


Red-cockaded WP

As I write this, it is Saturday and I am hoping to go chase some birds on Sunday, wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment