Monday, February 12, 2024

A Thick-billed Murre and Varied Thrush! (01-04Feb2024)

February has already turned out to be good for me.  A rare Thick-billed Murre showed up at Carolina Beach State Park and I found (with two other people) a Varied Thrush at Airlie Gardens which is a county first!  First some local stuff...


Hooded Merganser at Airlie - this go to spot of mine is very convenient especially for a quick trip at the end of the work day.


Interesting to see the white plumes that are normally laying flat on the birds back at the bottom of the open wings.


There is almost always a Great Cormorant sitting on the north jetty at the south end of Wrightsville but it's difficult to get a pic due to poor light.  Here was one day where the light cooperated.


Razorbill - Considering the amount of Dovekies we had a month ago, it is strange to see so few Razorbills.   This one was way out and I had to heavily crop the image.


Anhingas are prehistoric looking and absolutely fabulous. 


The plumes of the Great Egret almost led to its extinction at one point, or at least greatly imperiled it.  Apparently ladies loved them in their hats.


Meanwhile back at the south end of WB, Ricky D had found a Harlequin Duck, but it was so far out you could barely see it.


Zoomed in shot.  It was hanging out with Black and Surf Scoters.


As a surfer, waves have always interested me, and the waves that form on the breakwall at south end of WB are fantastic to look at.  Imagine yourself as small as a Smurf and mindsurf those waves all day long.


Rock Pigeons are really gorgeous if you stop to smell the roses.

I love when I go to my dentist and he always tells me the story about how he saw a Bald Eagle.  I tell him they are everywhere if you look for them.

I love a Tufted Titmouse, they have such character and you have to appreciate the salmon colored flanks.

I was at Airlie minding my business when I bumped into Janelle and Ian McDonald from up near Hickory (I think) and I mentioned where I had a nice flock of birds on the other side of the garden, close to where Ricky D had a Nashville Warbler a couple days prior.  I decided it would be easier to just walk over with them and show them.  Usually I am a bit of a loaner so I am really happy I decided to hang out with Ian and Janelle.  We were walking over near the Nashville spot when we all noticed a robin like bird sitting in some brambles.  Ian seems to use his camera as a way to see the birds so he already had his camera up and pointing at this bird.  I think we all were immediately struck by the fact that this thrush looked different but I believe I was the first to say, Varied Thrush!  It all happened in a matter of seconds and the bird flushed before I could get my camera up.  Luckily Ian had snapped off a bunch of photos in burst mode and a few of them were diagnostic!

Disclaimer - not my photo!  This was probably the best photo Ian got showing the eyebrow stripe, but he also got some photos of the wing markings too!

I stayed for another hour or so looking to relocate the bird, but I think it took off with a large flock of American Robins that passed through.


While we were beating the bushes for the Varied Thrush, I found this cute Winter Wren but he didn't want to cooperate and stayed hidden.


Pileated Woodpeckers


Anhinga


White Ibis - At high tide, all kinds of birds roost in the trees at Airlie.  

I went back the next day to see if I could turn up the Varied Thrush again, but no dice.

A Prairie Warbler was a nice consolation prize.  Finally it was time for me to get going for my business trip in London, I was packing my bags last minute when I got a text alert, Jesse A had found a Thick-billed Murre at Carolina Beach State Park!  Oh Lordy, I was planning to get to the airport two hours early for an international flight but I had to have this bird!


Thick-billed Murre - I pulled up at the marina and no one was around so I began panicking.  I checked everywhere in the Marina basin and finally decided to check outside in the Cape Fear and who should I find swimming around like it had no cares in the world but this cutie!  In reality it probably was not doing very well, these birds are normally quite pelagic so ones found inland are most likely in trouble.

Next installment, some photos from my business trip in London!








No comments:

Post a Comment