Sunday, December 12, 2021

Hudwit Me (03-04Dec2021)

When a Hudsonian Godwit showed up on Lake Norman in September, I hesitated to make the 4 hour drive, but eventually made chase.  It stung like salt in a wound when the bird was gone.  I soothed the sting by reminding myself that the Hudwits do show up with some regularity on the OBX in the fall.  However, all the Hudwits seen in October and November were either one day wonders or birds seen way on the other side of south pond.  As my readers know, I like to get somewhat close to my birds so I can get a decent photo.  So when a couple found a Hudwit recently at the north end of south pond somewhat close to the road, it was time for a road trip.  I rationalized that even if I missed it, I could pick up a new surfboard at REAL Watersports in Avon.  I recently snapped my surfboard which I only had for a couple months.  It seems the boards I hate last forever and the boards I love last only a short time.  

First a couple photos from Fort Fisher.


Pomarine Jaegers are usually difficult to see from shore, so i was amped to see this one off the gazebo area.


The tail feathers were more lobular than pointy which made the ID somewhat easy.

The drive to south pond on the OBX was uneventful.  The pond is full of every imaginable waterfowl you can think of and searching for one small bird in the mix was like a needle in a haystack. It wasn't in the expected spots so I climbed one of the dunes opposite the road to get a higher vantage.


Ughh there it was super far away on a mud flat which is out of view if not on the dunes.  You can see it smack dab in the middle of the frame above the Snow Geese.  There was a couple of problems with this.  I hate taking a shot from so far because I don't want people to have to take my word for it.  I could see the field marks in the scope, but I like photographic evidence.  Also, there is a very small chance that a Hudwit can be confused with a Black-tailed Godwit and the only way to rule it out is to see the underwing.  Hudwits have black underwings.


I waited a while with some friends as we scoped the rest of the birds and was able to pick out a Eurasian Wigeon.


Eurasian Wigeon with reddish head in middle of frame.

The Hudwit never flew or otherwise showed it's true colors so i decided to head to Cape Point and look through thousands of gulls for the California Gull that Captain P found earlier in the week.  No luck on that but it was a beautiful day.  However, on the way back north, I stopped again at south pond and who was in close.....


Hudwit with some Yellowlegs.


The light was not great but I was able to mess with the contrast.





I waited long enough to get the definitive black underwing shot.

Hudwit in the bag, I swung by the Old Coast Guard Station at Oregon Inlet to photograph the continuing "Audubon's Warbler" which is really just a sub-species of Yellow-rumped Warbler.



Great times..


No comments:

Post a Comment