Sunday, December 18, 2016

Barrow's Goldeneye (Bucephala islandica) - 13Dec2016

Boston Massachusetts is a great city, and one of the best things about it is you don't need to go far to get some good birds.  I was up there this week for a work trip and got out of a meeting just before 3pm.  In the winter the sun sets a little after 4pm, so I knew I had very little time.  I got my camera from my hotel, jumped in a cab and was at Castle Island in South Boston by 3:25pm.  By 3:45 I was on a Barrow's Goldeneye and I did not even know one had been seen there recently.  I simply picked a green space on my Map App.


Barrow's Goldeneyes have a crescent in the lore area where a Common Goldeneye has a circle.  Also the patterning on it's back is different.


Common Goldeneye on left and Barrow's on the right.







No comments:

Post a Comment