Sunday, June 26, 2016

Spot-breasted Oriole (Icterus pectoralis) - 24Jun2016

Spot-breasted Oriole is a species introduced to South Florida from Mexico and has been breeding long enough that it has reached ABA countable status.  I had never really tried for them before but I was expecting it to be easy based on the pretty high number of reports.  So when I did finally get a chance this week during a work trip I was a little miffed when I failed to see them at 2 different spots where they are reported.  On my way to the airport for my flight back home, I noticed I had about 45 minutes to kill so I went to the Miami Springs neighborhood just North of the airport and got lucky.  If you go looking for these, I suggest looking in the trees next to the canals that run through this neighborhood.









No comments:

Post a Comment