Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Three More (13-18May2021)

It is getting harder to add year birds and I am dreading getting into the summer doldrums soon.  I saw some 90 degree days coming up soon.  I hope some of the rare warblers (Connecticut and Mourning) stick around a couple more weeks.

Here are a few random pics from around Wilmington.


Glossy Ibis at Fort Fisher.

BG Gnatty at CB State Park

When an Olive-sided Flycatcher was found in the Raleigh area I couldn't resist a chase.


Olive-sided Flycatcher at Beaver Creek Greenway. Amazing that it did stick around a couple days. This species is usually one and done.

That same evening Daniel I. discovered yet another rarity on the OBX, this time a state first Yellow-green Vireo.  I toyed with the idea of driving straight from Raleigh and crashing in my truck for a try the next morning, but I must be getting old because I told myself I would only chase if it was seen again.  The next morning I was on my way to Holly Shelter when I got the alert that it was re-located in Nags Head Woods.  So off I went, and boy did I regret it.  7+ hours of driving round trip with nothing to show for it.  The YG Vireo was not seen again after about 9am.


A couple Red-eyed Vireos gave me palpitations before I realized what they were.


Blackpoll Warbler


Rose-breasted Grosbeak


I observed a pair of Yellow-billed Cuckoos copulating but it was over almost as soon as it began and I felt unfulfilled and a little cheap.  The female was left with a present of a caterpillar. I guess the quid pro quo in the bird world is more simple and with less strings attached.  


Some kind of female Bluet?  I don't have the vigor I need to check.


Back home I spent some time at Brunswick Nature Park and picked up this Acadian Flycatcher and some others.  I confirmed the song with a recording which I will post on my eBird checklist.



Barred Owl




Blue-gray Gnatty dive bombing the owl!



The Northern Bobwhites at Governor's Rd are still hanging out.


REVI

Speaking of Governor's Rd, there has been a massive congregation of Mississippi Kites, Swallow-tailed Kites and Laughing Gulls putting on a show in one of the farm fields.


Mississippi




Swallow-tailed Kite

I have been going to Wade Park periodically over the past month looking for the Least Bitterns that have been breeding there in past years, but so far have come up empty.  This morning as I drank my coffee I saw that they have arrived as Sam C reported one over the weekend.  So I headed there for a quick visit before my first teleconference.


Least Bittern.  I heard him first and then was able to find him deep in some reeds.  Audio will be posted to eBird...

Well that's it for now.  I am taking a day off on Thursday for a pelagic so wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment