Thursday, January 21, 2016

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (Tyrannus forticatus) - 19Oct2014 & 21Oct2017

The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is one of those rare NC birds that I have had luck with.  Some folks in NC have had a really hard time seeing them, but I have seen probably 4-5 in several years, 2 of which I found. 

The following picture is one that I found with my friend Shun near Lake Landing at Mattamuskeet in NC.


The Cornell website's second word describing this species is "elegant".  I could not agree more.  You would think a member of the Tyrant flycatchers would not be described as elegant, but this particular flycatcher is elegant and a tyrant at the same time which is quite unique.

The beauty of this species is that if they are around, they are fairly easy to spot as they like to perch on exposed wires.  You would think that the tail would get in the way of their fly-catching but it seems it's tail helps it to turn on a dime in mid air and catch it's erratic prey.  Until I bag myself a Fork-tailed Flycatcher, this may be my favorite flycatcher. 

Here is one photographed in Tx with a full length tail.



No comments:

Post a Comment