Thursday, February 11, 2016

Red-cockaded Woodpecker (Picoides borealis) - 26Oct2014 & 11Feb2018

The Red-cockaded Woodpecker is a good bird.  They are endangered and endemic to the US which is part of the allure.  However, rarity aside, they are cool birds.  They hang out in social groups so if you find one, you probably will find a bunch. 

Here are some pics from Holly Shelter where they can be found pretty reliably.  A couple years ago "target shooting" became popular in Holly Shelter and all the Long-leaf Pines were getting shot up.  I saw guys in there that looked like they were preparing for World War III or maybe the Zombie Apocalypse.  Luckily after some of the shouting and screaming from birders like myself, they shut down the target shooting in there.  I hope to see a positive affect on the RC Woodpecker.



1 comment:

  1. Where do you typically park/enter Holly Shelter for birding? I'm planning on making some trips there this year and I was just planning on parking at the entrance on hwy 17 and hiking up Lodge rd, but I wanted to get your input. In the past I've traveled to the Croatan to see RCW's, but if there is a good spot at Holly Shelter that would save me an 1.5 hr drive.

    ReplyDelete