Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Wilmington Birds (06-07Jan2021)

Back home in Wilmington but also back to work.  That being said, I just had to pick up the couple rarities we have had hanging around for the past several weeks and managed to do it between conference calls.

Purple Finches are usually pretty scarce in Wilmington, but I have had 10 or more hanging out around my feeders this year. 


Love it when a year bird comes to me.  I think I was on a conference call when I snapped this.



Anhinga - My first attempt at finding the Wilson's Warbler at Airlie Gardens failed, it was too late in the afternoon. However, this early in the year makes it easy to find a consolation year bird.


Palm Warbler - as did my first attempt at finding the Western Tanager at Carolina Beach Lake. CB Lake is an awesome place to look for birds.  They say they will be trying to plant some riparian borders to the lake  which is good because right now its short manicured grass all the way to the edge.  Also, crews were trimming all the fruit and dead palm leaves off the palms which is not good for the birds.  Hopefully the birding community can help change the culture of trying to make everything stark and antiseptic.  Sure antiseptic means to rid of bacteria, but it also means bland or characterless.



Eastern Bluebird


Eurasian Collared Dove


Snowy Egret

The next day I tried the same two places but this time at lunch break and was more successful.


This Wilson's Warbler has been hanging around Airlie Garden's Mystery Grave for a couple months.  It only took 15 minutes to find him this time.




A Marbled Godwit at CB Lake was unusual.


And the Western Tanager was back in his unlikeliest of places, a small lone live oak next to the main parking lot.  Unlikely because it is in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of cars, lawn mowers and park denizens.  However, he seems to be happy there.


My streak of good birds continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment