Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Grosbeaks and Such (17-18Jan2021)

It's about time I got some of the Evening Grosbeak action.  They have been seen regularly in some locations for over two months.  This irruption year has been amazing for Grosbeaks but also all kinds of northern finches.  If someone were to do a big year, this would be a good one to do it.  The Evening Grosbeaks have been seen regularly at Flat River Impoundments near Durham, but also at a private residence in Hillsborough.  I finally secured a slot to see them on Sunday and it did not disappoint although I do regret not cleaning my lens first and setting up a tripod.  The early morning light did not help the photo quality either.


Evening Grosbeaks


Female Grosbeak with some Pine Siskins.


I like the natural shots more.



Purple Finch

It was still super early when I got my fill of the Grosbeaks and the nice lady in Durham with a Rufous Hummingbird answered my email and said I could stop by as one of the last people before she was shutting it down.  I don't blame her as she lived in close quarters suburban neighborhood and I am sure her neighbors weren't crazy about strangers standing in the driveway next to their property.


Rufous Hummingbird - banded already and confirmed.

I don't have a Fox Sparrow for the year so I checked eBird and saw a bunch of reports from a nearby county park called Blackwood Farm so I headed over. What a gem of a park!  Lots of field habitat, woody trails and a pond.


Fox Sparrow - it did not take long to find them.


American Goldfinch


This species always seems to have a twig in front of it.



Pine Siskin


Brown Thrasher


White-throated Sparrow


Field Sparrow


Hermit Thrush


Black Vulture

It was still relatively early so I decided to try a second time for the Common Goldeneye at Umstead.


Bingo!  Easy as pie.  Last time it was way over on the far side which made a photo impossible.  This time it was right where it needed to be.

Finally, I headed to Mid Pines Rd on the way home to check for Vesper Sparrows.


Kapooww!  Vesper Sparrow.  I should have bought a lotto ticket because I was on a roll.  The Vesper was far off so I was not sure if I would count it, but I see clear field marks on the picture with white outer retrices sealing the deal.

Monday was Martin Luther King Day so I had it off.  My company decided to take it more seriously this year due to the social justice movement and I am so happy they did.  Employers never used to take it seriously which I believe was a social injustice in itself.  How can we move the dial on equality and equity if we ignore the day we set aside for it?   I started the day going to Johnnie Mercer's Pier to watch sunrise and was a little peeved that a movie film crew had completely taken over all the parking and were getting ready for a shoot.  The film industry is supposed to be progressive, why in the world were they making people work on MLK day?


I managed to find a spot and get to the pier while the sunrise was still doing its thing.  No special birds, but  a nice way to start the day.


Sanderling on the south end of WB.


Piping Plovers - its been a while since I have seen them.  People are always scaring them off their high tide roosting spot.



Have to check those orange legs in case a Snowy Plover sneaks in.


Royal Tern


Bonaparte's Gull


Common Loon


Carolina Wren


Northern Cardinal


Northern Mockingbird


Doing an Australian Fairy Wren impression.


House Sparrow



Mourning Dove


Field Sparrow at Rogersville Rd for a county year bird.

After an inconvenient family obligation, I headed back out after lunch this time to Fort Fisher.


Pine Warbler


House Wren


Eastern Bluebird


Cedar Waxwing


Killdeer - meanwhile at CB Lake, the usual suspects are hanging out including a lone Bonaparte's Gull, a Marbled Godwit, a Snow Goose and of course the Black-headed Gull.


Black-headed Gull


Loggerhead Shrike - this guy has been giving me the slip lately at Ashley High School, but I finished MLK Day with a sighting.

Hopefully this new administration will take equality, equity and even reparations seriously so we can even the playing field.  Anyone that denies the "system" is stacked against minorities is living in a cave.  If you don't know about the Wilmington Race Riots and what happened in 1898, do yourself a favor and watch this teaser: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/wilmingtononfire.  What happened in 1898 is a cautionary tale of what happens when white nationalism and supremacy is normalized and left unchecked.  The vestiges of this is still felt in Wilmington and institutional racism is lingering like a bad fart in a small room with no ventilation. Let's admit there is a problem, throw open the windows and breath some fresh air.  The Inauguration today was that breath of fresh air.  Angela Gorman's poem/speech and the other speakers finally gave me some hope that we are back on track. Black Lives Matter!












No comments:

Post a Comment