Thursday, April 22, 2021

Howell Woods (19-21Apr2021)

One of my favorite spots to bird in NC is Howell Woods Environmental Learning Center in Johnston County.  The woods are full of all kinds of habitat for local breeding warblers, tanagers and thrushes.  Its about a 1.5 hours away which is better than some of the other decent spring migration options and it has very little traffic.  I typically don't even see any soul outside of the visitor's center area.  In fact i hesitate to even talk about it and keep it a secret!

First some local birds and things..

Black Swallowtail at Burnt Mill Creek.

I need to get a flower ID guide for NC..


Great Crested Flycatcher

Big stretch!

Beer belly!

First of the year Chimney Swift at BMC.


Driving down the Fort Fisher Spit frequently most of the birds are behind the berms created by high tide, so you have to keep your eyes peeled for birds poking their heads up.  This Gull-billed Tern almost escaped detection.

Driving around the berm I saw he/she was already paired up.

Dowitchers are looking spiffy with their breeding colors.

Lesser Yellowlegs

Black-bellied Plover

Palm Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

When this bird initially flushed I was thinking yellowlegs but I see now its a Solitary Sandpiper with some food item in its bill.  Key field marks are the dark underwings and legs that don't extend much past the tail tip.

Now to the reason for this post! The weather looked fine for a trip to Howell Woods and I noticed a recent report on eBird with both Kentucky and Swainson's Warblers which are the speciality species for this location.

The property is huge and there are any number of ways to tackle it, but I always like to start early in the morning in some of the more boggy wooded areas where my target species love to sing. It didn't take long to find my first...


Kentucky Warbler - this is a species that I always worry about confusing the song with Ovenbirds and Carolina Wrens as it is similar in cadence.  However, when you hear one nearby usually it is pretty obvious.  I don't have a very musical ear but I would saw it is more rich and deeper than an Ovenbird but less than a Carolina Wren.


I had a couple Swainson's Warblers singing closer in but this very cooperative one was a good mile into the property near an idyllic stream.

I watched it for a good 20 minutes and he watched me.




Summer Tanagers were everywhere!! I tried and looked for a Scarlet but had no luck.  

I am leading an Audubon walk at Howell Woods in mid-May and looking forward to going back.  Hit me up if you are interested in coming.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment