Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The Tail End (25-26Sep2021)

I always have mixed emotions at the tail end of a big year.  Elation as I get closer to my goals.  Embarrassment and shame for chasing a bird across state that I have already seen before. Exhaustion from working a full time job while trying to fit in as much birding as I can.  Wonderment at all our state/world has to offer. Ultimately I love it and probably will continue to do it every other year or so.  

Here is one good example that epitomized the craziness and disappointment of a big year chase.  At the end of September a Hudsonian Godwit had been seen on a small island in Lake Norman near Charlotte.  I knew the odds that it would stick around would be slim, but the call of the sirens were irresistible and I justified to myself that even if I dipped, I could make my annual pilgrimage to Ridge Junction and watch the warbler spectacle as a consolation.

My buddy Jeff has access to a boat on Lake Norman and runs frequent "pelagics" out on the lake to look for rarities.  I made the 3-4 hour drive up and hopped on for an afternoon run.  The weather was gorgeous and I really enjoyed myself but all we had to show for it was this Forester's Tern. 

I made the drive up to Mount Mitchell that evening and listened for Saw Whets but it was windy and cold.    I hunkered down on the side of the road and awaited Dawn the Rosy Fingered.

In the morning, it was still very windy at Ridge Junction but I was able to find some spots that were more sheltered and the birds were plentiful.


Cape Mays were everywhere.


Blackburnians were also around but tended to stay higher in the canopy.



Initially I thought this was a Sharp-shinned, but I guess it could be a Cooper's.


Black-throated Greens were as thick as mosquitoes in a swamp in August.



Bay-breasted Warblers were absolutely everywhere!  I have never seen so many in one day.  This one is almost borderline Blackpoll but I think its just dusky chested because feathers are molting in.


Tennessee Warblers held their own with huge numbers.


Some of the Bay-breasted had a bit of bay wash on the flanks.



Blackburnian



Tennessee Warbler


This vireo had some traits which looked good for both Warbling Vireo and Philly Vireo.  


In some light the eye-arcs were not visible.  However, ultimately I think this is a Philly which is more common at this location and time of year.




Rose-breasted Grosbeak

So in the end I didn't even bag the bird I wanted.  For the life of me I have not been able to get a picture of a Broad-winged Hawk.  I am fairly sure I have seen several, but for me a photograph is essential.  All the ones I have seen have been quick fly-by birds or birds soaring at 1000 ft.


Red-shouldered Hawks on the other hand have been ubiquitous.

I drive more of the parkway looking everywhere with no luck.  I even swing by the Hawk Watch at Riverbend Park where Dwayne told me I should have been there yesterday.  Riverbend had thousands of Broad-winged Hawks over the past several days and the day I showed up they had One!  I hung out with Dwayne for an hour or so and we had one more high flying Broad-wing but a photo was not in the cards.  The bird was so high that by the time I got my camera up, it disappeared into the ether.





1 comment:

  1. My name is Mike Petrucha and I maintain a Kirtland's Warbler migration database for the Kirtland's Warbler Conservation Team. I saw your post on eBird on the Valle Crucis Kirtland's and was wondering if I could send you a migration sighting form. It is designed to gather Kirtland's Warbler migration data not usually reported. Thank you.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete