Monday, April 13, 2020

Chestnut-collared Longspur (Calcarius ornatus) - 17May2018

This is probably one of my best birds in NC for a number of reasons.  First it is a stunner and longspurs seen out of range are not usually in breeding plumage.  Secondly this day was already fantastic from a birding standpoint as I had spent the day up in the Winston Salem area and had racked up a great list and some excellent photos.  When I received the text that this bird was being seen at the Cape Point campground in Buxton, NC I was a good 4 plus hour drive away.  So my decision to chase it immediately was a risky one and I had already driven 4 plus hours earlier that morning.  Luckily the bird stayed put and I made it to the campground before the light got really bad. My buddy Jeff L was already there when I pulled up and pointed it out for me.  Sometimes everything comes together nicely.











No comments:

Post a Comment