Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Long-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus scolopaceus) - 05Oct2017

Dowitchers are very tricky but I think I am getting better at IDing them when up close and with careful study.  In my opinion the best field mark is the Loral Angle.  If you look closely below at this dowitcher photographed at the North end of Wrightsville Beach, you will notice that the V which is formed by the supercilia (brows) is relatively even.  On a Short-billed Dowitcher the V is pinched at the bottom mainly because the supercilia flare up in from of the eyes (lores) on a SB Dow.   Add to that the relatively long bill with little kink to it and you have a good candidate.  The body looks kind of roundish but that is my least favorite marks.  I believe this bird was also calling while feeding which I think is a mark for Long-billed as Short-billed usually feed in silence.





On the far left you can see a more typical Short-billed that has the pinched supercilia.

Here are some even better photos from the Oregon Inlet Fishing Marina on the OBX, NC in late July 2018.


LB in center and SBs to left.


Oh baby, look at that beautiful V.





No comments:

Post a Comment