Monday, March 29, 2021

Spring is Here! (22-28Mar2021)

Flowers are blooming, birds are singing and the weather is getting nice!  There are some winter residents that are getting decked out in breeding plumage and getting ready to take off for northern destinations.


This Horned Grebe is definitely the most advanced specimen I have ever seen.  It was feeding in the rip on the south end of Wrightsville Beach and I just had to get some closer pics so I took off my shoes and when it dove I ran to where it dove and waited for it to pop back up.

Bottlenose Dolphin

There were tons of Bonaparte Gulls on this day but I was not able to turn up a Little Gull.  


On the next day I came back and this time I was successful in locating my first New Hanover County Little Gull.  Note the smallest one in the middle of the frame with the white primary tips.




Common Loon


Little Gull feeding in the inlet.


Horned Grebes in flight


On the past Saturday the plan was to head up to Davis, NC and take the ferry over to Core Banks with my truck for some exploration and camping on the beach.  My target was Ring-necked Pheasant but I knew it was a long shot.  I started the adventure out by heading to Pringle Rd in Carteret Country and arriving well before first light for Whip-poor-wills and I was not disappointed.  Here is the eBird checklist with audio https://ebird.org/checklist/S8417065 I don't think I ever will get decent pics so audio will have to do.


This White Ibis was about as bright as I have ever seen, photographed on the North River golf course.

On my way over to the ferry terminal I got a call from the operator and they informed me that winds forecasted on Sunday were causing concern for cancelation which means I would be stuck on the Core Banks until Monday!  I decided to pull the plug on these plans and instead made lemonade with the lemons.  I started out by driving the Cedar Island causeway nice and slow and birding along the canals.


My first Green Heron of the year.


Black-necked Stilt!  They will probably breed here like they have in prior years.


Seaside Sparrows were singing and flying around in large numbers.


A marginally better photo of a Wilson's Snipe flushing from the Cedar Island marsh.


Red-winged Blackbird

At the Cedar Island Ferry Terminal I ran into my first of the year Barn Swallows in good light.


male and female




Gorgeous little birds....

The walk along the beach south from the terminal is always worthwhile.


Lesser Yellowlegs - note how small and short the bills are.


Lesser Yellowlegs and Dunlin on left and Stilt Sandpiper on the right!


Lesser Yellowlegs



Stilt Sandpiper




A molting Piping Plover




The fog moved in and it was time to go home.

Sunday morning I woke up late and decided to worship the creation the best way I know how, a trip to the beach.


Very pink Sandwich Terns were hanging out on the Fort Fisher spit.


They can get this pink coloration when they eat certain shrimp or crustaceans.


First of the year Least Tern


Seaside Sparrow


Wilson's Plover


Pink Sandwich .... hmmmmmm

After a nice lunch and game of Wingspan with the family, the wife and I headed out for a drive down to Brunswick County.  I had seen several reports over 2 days of Swallow-tailed Kites at Camp Branch Rd which is a cypress swamp tract near Green Swamp.  As soon as we pulled up to the bridge spanning the black water creek I looked up and sure enough 2 Swallow-tailed Kites were doing their thing eating dragons and other insects.


That was easy!

We tried for Wood Storks at Twin Lakes but no nice.  Finally we headed to the east side of Sunset Beach for a nice walk but the wind was blowing like crazy and the birds were all sheltering on a far mud bank in the Shallotte River.  You can't win them all.








1 comment:

  1. By golly, you're helping me ID birds without even being there. I'd never seen a pink belly like that on a tern before. Had one super pink bird this weekend that wound up in the tern sp. bucket. No more!

    ReplyDelete