Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Local Stuff and a trip to Raleigh (08-13Jan2024)

Usually this time of year I focus on going to the Johnnie Mercer Pier every morning to pick up my ocean year bird fix.  Since I have been doing surveys half the week at Figure 8, I haven't had nearly as many opportunities to get on the pier. Consequently I don't have any good pics yet of birds like Pacific Loon or Razorbill.


Red-throated Loons are common near the pier.


Meanwhile Carolina Beach Lake is usually good for some Scaup. These are Lesser Scaup based on dirty flanks and peaked head.


This Blue-winged Teal looked normal on her left flank, but the recent storm has evidently caused some damage to her right flank.


I can't tell if her wing was structurally messed up or maybe the feathers just blown out revealing her blue wing panel.


There have been some good surfing days lately but I think my old age is getting the best of me and I have passed on most.  It's easier to get motivated when it is warm.


There is always an abundance of Palm Warblers at Fort Fisher.


A Western Kingbird has been hanging around Southport for the past few weeks so I finally went to check it out.  It took about 30 seconds to find it.


Western Kingbird

But the best surprise is always unexpected.....


A Lincoln's Sparrow in the hedge next to the kingbird.


White-throated Sparrow


Swamp Sparrow


Field Sparrow


Eastern Meadowlark


In hindsight, I should have waited another hour or so to see if there were Woodcocks.


Later in the week, the rain didn't stop me from finding a Loggerhead Shrike at the airport.

My buddy Jacob that splits the survey work with me said he would gladly cover Saturday so I could make a short trip to Raleigh.

I arrived first thing on Saturday morning at Mid Pines Rd and was immediately greeted by a few Vesper Sparrows.


Vesper Sparrow - apparently named for the sweet song it is known to sing in the evening which is also when catholic vespers services are sung.  I suppose they will eventually have to change the name of this one too to be more inclusive, although I think that would be a disservice - get it?? I did a pun.


Apart from the white eyeing which is not always prominent, the rusty shoulder and well defined auriculars (ear patch) are good field marks.


I was scanning the fields for Horned Larks when I spotted a large flock of American Pipits which stayed pretty far out, but I managed a few recognizable shots.

I knew the continuing Ross's Goose at Yates Mills has been flying off the pond at about 8:30am for the past few days so I headed the less than half mile over there (as the crow flies) and was able to get some early morning light shots.


Ross's Goose

Apart from the small size, the bluish base of the bill and lack of a grin patch is what differentiates this bird from the Snow Goose.


Canada Goose

My next target was redemption for my attempt at a Western Tanager from the previous weekend. It was easy-peasy finding this one that was frequenting a feeder in an apartment complex.


Western Tanager


I was toying with the idea of going to Flat River Impoundments north of Raleigh but the pull of spending some quality time with the family was stronger especially since I knew hunters would be crawling all over the impoundments on a Saturday.  However, I decided to swing by Mid Pines Rd. one more time to check for Horned Larks and I was rewarded.

Horned Larks blend into corn stubble perfectly so it requires some luck and patience to find them.




What a productive Saturday!  I decided to reward myself and my family by swinging by Redneck BBQ Labs on the way home to pick up some Brisket, Burnt Ends and Smoked Turkey.  That place is soooo good.



No comments:

Post a Comment