Saturday, February 6, 2016

Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis) - 03Feb2016 & 01Jan2019

Down on the coastal plain in North Carolina, we don't have to worry about ID problems between Carolina Chickadee and Black-capped Chickadee.  Some people claim to have heard or seen Black-capped Chickadees in the Piedmont but eBird has weeded these reports out.

Although my feeder station is relatively boring, I always love watching Chickadees.  However, no one likes a feeder shot, so here is are some pics from this week on a Sweetgum at River Rd Park.  I love a good Sweetgum.


Note the lack of white edging on tertials (siri tried to change this to tortillas).


Wikipedia gives these names for Sweetgum fruit - Burr Balls, Gum Balls, Space Bugs, Monkey Balls, Sticker Balls and my favorite, Bommykockers.

Whatever you call them, birds love them.

Here is a Carolina Chickadee from my yard in Wilmington on 19Jan2019 although it could be any day as I get them daily.



No comments:

Post a Comment