Saturday, February 10, 2024

January Finale! (23-31Jan2024)

This has been a great year for rarities so far.  A Trumpeter Swan up at Hanging Rock State Park was good enough to motivate me for a chase.  But first some local birds....


Lesser Scaup swimming at the end of Johnnie Mercer Pier.

I have been trying to get my yearly Pacific Loon, but so far I haven't had much luck with the loon flock staying pretty far out.  There was one day where a massive Gannet and Pelican feeding frenzy was coming closer to the pier so I waited for them to get closer.


Brown Pelican getting ready for a dive. 




Brown Pelicans are goofy looking on land, but they really are graceful when flying.


Northern Gannet


Common Loon

Meanwhile during my survey on the south end of Figure Eight Island I was combing through a large gull flock and found this Iceland Gull!

Iceland Gull


There are normally large flocks here to look through.


Iceland Gull

I have had a couple days were I had over 50 Lesser Black-backed Gulls.  A number of years ago they were considered a rarity down in New Hanover.

Laughing Gull hormones are starting to fire up.


The two Piping Plovers continue.  It's amazing how you can get to know a couple birds when you bird the same spot over and over.


Black-and-white Warbler at Airlie Gardens

Black-crowned Night-heron



Eastern Phoebe


Blue-headed Vireo


Golden-crowned Kinglet


Sunday I did my survey at Figure 8 and then pulled the trigger on the drive up to Hanging Rock.  My buddy Steve B texted me and said he also was thinking of chasing the Trumpeter so I met him in Chapel Hill and we made the drive together.  It was super nice to catch up with him and his travels.  He works for Lindblad as an on-board naturalist and has been all over the globe.  I also found out he works for a small bird tour company that is owned by Ivan Phillipsen the host of a podcast I listen to all the time called The Science of Birds.  The podcast is chock full of corny jokes but overall it is a really well edited podcast with good information about avian natural history and general biology.  I have to admit I am jealous of my friends that can work for tour companies.  It would be a dream job for me, but realistically I just don't know if I could ever be a good guide because of my hearing loss.  Moral of the story - kids wear ear protection when you go to concerts!

This chase couldn't have been easier.  The Trumpeter is the only bird on the lake and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Trumpeter Swan - some people did get some sound recordings for confirmation but it ticks all the visual field marks too.

One of the field marks for Trumpeter is that the forehead forms a V whereas a Tundra has more of a U, but it is a subtle field mark.


The area where the eye meets the bill is not pinched like on a Tundra which has a more beady eye look.


Totally worth the drive! I got City BBQ twice too, once on the way up and once on the way down.  Melissa thinks I am overdoing it but I just can't say no to some good brisket.

Back home during a work day, I was chatting on a teleconference when a Brown Creeper landed on my oak in my front yard.  


Brown Creeper as seen through my office window!  


Three Long-tailed Ducks have been hanging out on the south of end WB.


I haven't had a White-winged Scoter yet, but plenty of Blacks are around.

Next installment has a good rarity, so stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment