Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Middling Medley (15-22Aug2021)

Back home I kicked around the beaches looking for something new.  


Black Tern at the Ft Fisher Spit.


Seaside Dragonlet


Black Tern


Clapper Rail

At the Fort Fisher Athletic Fields there was some good flooding but the only bird of note was this Solitary Sandpiper which showed good comparison to a nearby Lesser Yellowlegs.


Glossy Ibis


Solitary SP - same spot different day


One of these days someone will find a Eurasian Whimbrel.  This was not one of those days.


Black Tern


Semipalmated Sandpiper - At high tide on the spit in August, its a good time to study peeps up close from your truck window.  This was is a classic example with a short stubby bill and black legs.


Western Sandpiper - classic example with longer bill and some rufous on the scapulars.

On the 22nd, I went out on another pelagic.  I don't want to come across like an entitled jerk but I have had real bad luck this summer on pelagics.  No Boobies, no Tropicbirds, no Noddies, no Fea's, No Bermuda, no White-faced or other rarities.  You would think with the amount I have been on I would have bagged some of those.  Still I do enjoy every time I go out as I learn more and more how to ID pelagic birds on the fly.  Pelagic birding is really dependent on cues that are more subtle and difficult to explain.  The old timers call it the "Jizz" of the bird.


Cory's type shearwaters are sort of slow and lumbering in flight.



If you see a shearwater flapping its wings at a fast pace, most likely its an Audubon's.  They are one of the shearwaters that are least graceful in terms of effortless gliding.


Some of the lighter looking Cory's type shearwaters are most likely Scopoli's sub-species which hopefully will be split soon.


Sooty Terns were a year bird but expected in great numbers this time of year so it was hard to be too happy about it.


Great Shearwaters are under-appreciated purely because of their abundance, but they truly are great.


The weather was unsettled and we had a few water spouts which was cool to see.


Great


Cory's type.


El Diablotin - Black-capped Petrel - always a crowd-pleaser.



Great


Cory's





I continued my streak of seeing no rarities but I learned a smidgeon more about the strange denizens of the  deep.


No comments:

Post a Comment