Saturday, February 13, 2021

Finally some Pacific Loons (07-13Feb2021)

It's been a crazy work week so I haven't been able to get out much.  I have a bunch of easy birds to catch up on and photograph for my year list but the birding stinks in the evening after work.  However, on Sunday last weekend after coming home from the OBX I managed to bag a year bird.  Or rather Same C did!  I was at the south end of Wrightsville on the ocean side and Sam called me with a Pacific Loon in view on the intracoastal side.  After joining him, a second Pacific joined the first.

Pacific Loons 


On the ocean side, this dark Red-throated Loon was doing its best to confuse me and others.


I should have gone surfing but it was cold!  I hate changing into a wetsuit when its cold and raining.


Tree Swallows were doing their thing at Airlie Gardens.


My camera doesn't like the color red and does not fully focus.


Pied-billed Grebe


Black-crowned Night-heron


Black-bellied Plover at the north end of WB.



Short-billed Dowitcher



One early morning this week there was a ton of activity on the south end of WB including a large flock of diving Gannets.


Among the gulls was a really weird looking black-backed gull which had me thinking something good like Slaty-backed.  It was not right for either Lesser or Great.  The size was smaller than a Herring and I could have sworn it had pink legs.  However, it moved behind this sandbar before I could get a decent photo.



It was clearly in a transitional plumage with only one tail feather showing black and no real "pearls" to speak of.  You can just barely make out a part of a pink foot.


American Oystercatcher


European Starling at Fort Fisher


Common Yellowthroat at the Aquarium Trail


Somehow Gray Catbird was a year bird.


Redhead - Carolina Beach Lake has been chock full of good birds by New Hanover County standards.


American Wigeon


Tree Swallows are back in full force.


The Lesser Scaup is still hanging out.





The forecast sucks big time so probably I will work this weekend to catch up on some things.  It was pissing rain all day today.   Monday is President's Day so I may get a window to go to Shackleford Banks. We will see what the weather gods say.

No comments:

Post a Comment