Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Local Stuff (09-10May2020)

After a cold front with NW winds things can get interesting in Wilmington in the Spring.  What I mean by interesting is we might get 1-2 migrating warblers instead of zero.  Of course we have good breeding warblers like Hooded and Swainson's, but otherwise 99% of migrating warblers completely bypass us.

First a couple local trips to the ponds and beach..



Ashley High School Pond has been hosting this Glossy Ibis.





At Fort Fisher they finally opened the spit to driving which is awesome for me as I love to take a drive on the beach although I am torn about what it does to the inhabitants.  I try to stick to the ruts and when there is a flock of birds I take a wide berth even while watching the local yahoos tearing through with little regard.


Whimbrel


Semipalmated Plover


Ruddy Turnstone


Black-bellied Plover


Semipalmated Sandpiper and Dunlin


In May I have a Common Nighthawk honey hole where I can usually find one or two resting on the back beach.  I can get quite close without flushing them if I move really slow.  This one never flushed.


Wilson' Plover


Semipalmated SP and Plovers


I have seen a ton of Gull-billed Terns but have not had a good photo opportunity yet.

Before work I usually have enough time to head to Wade Park since its only a mile to two from my house.


Acadian Flycatcher at Wade!




Chimney Swift

Meanwhile Airlie Gardens has opened!


American Redstart!  Not sure if this is considered a migrant or breeder.  I think they do breed in small numbers on the coastal plain.


 Swainson's Thrush in the spring is a good find.


Blackpoll Warbler!!  A good bird for Wilmington in the Spring.  This one a male.


And a female!


Three of my favorite things in life: Blackpolls, Spanish Moss and Live Oaks.


Painted Bunting



Baby Northern Parula!  I can't believe how fast these suckers breed, hatch and are flying around already.


Solitary Sandpiper


Spotted Sandpiper


Momma or Poppa Parula


Blackpoll


Least Sandpipers can befuddle when they are alone with nothing to compare them against.


This Parula had a little kink in the bill that made him look like Gonzo from the muppets.


 Since that day on the 10th pickings have been slim locally..


No comments:

Post a Comment