Monday, May 11, 2020

Spring Fling Part Dos (27Apr-01May2020)

The strange thing is that this pandemic thing is not affecting my birding too much with two big exceptions, the beach has been closed or effectively closed (no parking) and pelagic trips are not on either.  More recently I tried to book a VRBO for the mountains but had to postpone as the restrictions prevented them from renting out.  I get that the government has to draw the line somewhere, and it's difficult to allow NC residents to rent but not anyone else.  What we don't want are vacationers from hot spots to come here.  Anyhow, here are some pics from some local birding and a trip to the triangle area.  In case your wondering, when I drive places I only visit gas stations as needed and use sterile wipes to pump gas so my impact on the general public is negligible.

I did manage to make one trip to the beach when I convinced Melissa to drop me off at Shell Island on the north end of Wrightsville.  The beach itself is open, its only the parking that is closed.


Whimbrel.  At low tide you can stomp around in the marsh.  It's one of my favorite places to be in Wilmington.




Osprey with dinner.  Anyone know the type of fish?


Wilson's Plover


Eastern Willet


Common Tern - nice contrast between the white throat and grayer body is a good ID helper.



Royal Terns - here is a cool little tip on bill color as an ID mark for Royal Terns.  If caught in the right light and angle, the bill color is a good field mark with Royal being orange and Caspian more red.



However, the exact same birds in a slightly different angle can make 2 Royals look like one Royal and one Caspian.


Sandwich Terns don't have identification issues.  You can't argue away a black bill with a yellow tip.


Dontas ever take Laughing Gulls for granted!  They are super cool looking and have bubbly personalities.


Least Sandpiper


Common Tern


Least Tern - I have fond memories of these little devils dive-bombing me on the way to Flax Pond inlet when I was a kid in NY.




Common

It felt so good to be back on the beach and even better with hardly any people on it.


This poor Ruby-throated Hummingbird had some issue with his tongue... It was stuck out of his bill and although I saw him extending it and feeding, it seemed he could not retract it anymore than this.  I haven't seen him recently so either he died or his tongue is back in.


Yellow-crowned Night-heron at Burnt Mill Creek.


I guess he/she had a rough night because breakfast was quickly ejected.






Box Turtle?



Eastern Kingbird at Burnt Mill



Chimney Swift - at BMC


Painted Bunting at Fort Fisher


On the 1st of May a small group of us kept our social distance and toured the private Thomas Property in an attempt to run up the species total for the property.


I love the plaintive call of the Eastern Wood-Pewee.


Indigo Buntings were everywhere.


Blue Grosbeak


Cool flower I will get around to IDing at some point.



Hooded Warbler




Yellow-breasted Chat





Great Crested Flycatcher


No there is no bird in this photo.


Painted Skimmer


Prairie Warbler



Common Yellowthroat

I LOVE SPRING...







No comments:

Post a Comment