Sunday, May 17, 2020

Spring Fling Part Tres (02-08May2020)

Ahhhhh, I love Spring!  The birds are singing, the sun is shining and I feel reinvigorated.  I have been making some day trips to the triangle area to get some migrants as Wilmington migration sucks.  Don't worry dear readers, I am staying smart and careful. White Deer Park in the Garner area had a couple of good recent reports so I headed up there for the day on the 2nd.



Black-and-white Warbler

There was a ton of activity but many of the birds were deep in the understory so the photo ops were not great.


Swainson's Thrush


Rose-breasted Grosbeak


Swainson's again



Ovenbird


Black-throated Blue Warbler


American Goldfinch


Scarlet Tanager

It was so beautiful out that I could not resist some more exploring so I headed to Brickhouse Rd north of Durham.  A great spot but it had heated up and the birds were not very active.



I did find a Yellow-throated Vireo on nest which was singing from the nest.  I thought that was a bit weird.  You can just see her head poking out here.



Tree Swallow


Great Crested Flycatcher

Finally on the way home I stopped by Mid Pines and Chi Rd in Raleigh area.


Eastern Kingbird


Mississippi Kite


Bobolinks!


Back home on Sunday, I headed to Holly Shelter for a couple hours while running an errand at Pender Pines Nursery.


Bachman's Sparrow


Eastern Kingbird


Swainson's Warbler


Bachman's Sparrow

The next week I headed back up to the triangle area again as the migrant pull was too strong to ignore.  This time I headed to Mial Plantation Rd of the Neuse River.



Goldfinch


At the time, I noted this Tanager as a Scarlet, but the bill was super orange looking so I am wondering could it be a Western Tanager?


Unfortunately I did not get a good look at wing bars as I had only from underneath or back shots.


Acadian Flycatcher


White-eyed Vireo was some dragonfly parts.


This Swamp Sparrow flagged as rare.


Cliff Swallow




Yellow-throated Vireo



American Redstart


Question Mark?


Baby Phoebe


Swainson's Warbler - apparently rare up in the triangle.



Redstart


Black Ratsnake




Mississippi Kite



Finally I ended the day at a wetland park west of Raleigh called Crabtree Creek.


Blue-gray Gnattie


Wilson's Warbler 



Downy Woodpecker


This Willow Flycatcher was calling and I will be posting some audio to my eBird checklist.  


Prothonotary Warbler


Yellow Warbler



Phoebe


Yellow-rumped Warbler looking snappy.



Common Grackle



Bank Swallow - I tried hard to get some better pics but it would not stay still and was mixing with Trees, Barns and Rough-winged.  You can just see the white wrapping around the auriculars and the breast band just atop the wingline.


Here you can see the breastband.  I know, horrible photo but these are not easy birds to photograph.


Northern Parula


Pileated Woodpecker


Willow Flycatcher again.


Blue Jay


Common Grackle

Great times..

No comments:

Post a Comment