Sunday, September 17, 2017

Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) - 06Oct2015 & 05Jun2016 & 23Sep2018 & 18Apr2019

Per Wiki: "The yellow warbler (Setophaga petechia, formerly Dendroica petechia) is a New World warbler speciesSensu lato, they make up the most widespread species in the diverse Setophaga genus, breeding in almost the whole of North America and down to northern South America.  The genus name Setophaga is from Ancient Greek ses, "moth", and phagos, "eating", and the specific petechia is from Italian petecchia, a small red spot on the skin."

This is a typical non-breeding one we see in the fall in Wilmington, taken at Fort Fisher in 2018.


Here is another one from migration at Fort Fisher, NC in 2016.




I usually get my breeding Yellow Warblers in North Carolina at Meat Camp ESA near Boone.  That is where I captured this one.  I plan to add other subspecies later when I get one of the red-faced ones in Costa Rica.


Down in Central America there is a local race of Yellow Warblers frequently referred to as Mangrove Warblers.  This one was photographed near Rio Lagartos, Yucatan.



Here is one from my yard in Wilmington on 12Sep2020.






No comments:

Post a Comment