Friday, June 9, 2023

Xmas Vacation in the Southwest Part 3 (26-28Dec2022)

After checking out the slot canyons of Utah, it was time for finally visiting the crown jewel of Utah National Parks - Zion!  I have always wanted to go and heard so many things.  We stayed at hotel which was basically in the park boundary and while the family did their morning ablutions, I walked some of the property around the hotel which included a pond chock full of ducks.  It was nice to build up my Utah list with some common waterfowl.  The pics are a little dark and gloomy as it was first light conditions.


Ring-necked Duck


Hooded Merganser 


American Coot


American Wigeon


Redhead


Townsend's Solitaire! 

But let's face it, this park is not known for the birds but actually for the scenery so here are some family and scenery pics.  I knew that Angel's Landing was famous for being one of the most scary hikes in America and everyone seems to have it on their bucket list, so I signed up for the lottery of being able to hike it and we got lucky. Probably the odds of winning the lottery for this hike are pretty good in the winter because it's not as popular to hike in the winter due to hazardous conditions.

We started out hiking the canyon that leads to the Angel's Landing trail and I kept my eyes peeled for Spotted Owls as they do live in this particular canyon.



Once you get up to the ridge line that is Angel's Landing you realize why it is so scary.  The pictures don't do the shear drops on other side of the ridge justice. There are chains to hold onto but the big issue is that you run into other hikers and in some parts you have to let go of the chain to get around them.  In some areas you have to scramble on rocks covered in ice that are sloped at an angle.  One small mister and you are a goner.  There are quite a few deaths at this spot and strangely enough, Melissa was the only one that seemed to feel comfortable on the trail.  I was top heavy because like an idiot I brought my huge camera and the boys looked like Smeagol from LOTR, keeping all four limbs connected at all times.




Long story short, we made it just past the spot where my right shoulder is in this pic and ended up turning back because we felt uncomfortable with the ice on the trail.  Do I regret turning around, yes a bit.  However, we hiked other peaks nearby that were higher and pretty exposed too so its not like we got the view.  It's just the bragging rights to be able to say you did it.  Next time I attempt it will be once the ice has cleared and I will not bring my huge pack on my back.  For those of you thinking we were wimps, check out some of the videos of this hike and you will see why we got turned around.  This particular youtube was taken with no ice on the trail, so just add that to the mix.  youtibe of angels landing hike


On the other side of the Angel's Landing hike we hiked up to a spot that was actually looking down on the landing and there was practically no one on the trail!




Angel's Landing is the lower peak on the right.




Coming down from the hike I found this nest hole, probably a Raven.

We did some other hikes later that day and then in the morning including one in a Pinyon habitat that I was trying for Pinyon Jays in with no luck.

The final leg of our trip was down into Vegas.  We stayed right on the strip and had an awesome time eating at a famous French restaurant which I am now blanking on the name of and then we got some last minute tickets to Cirque du Soleil - Beatles Love!  It was truly an amazing show, I recommend it to all.  I didn't take any pics because its not allowed in the venue.



I made everyone try the escargot and then quickly regretted it because they ate them all up!

The final day was spent in the Red Rocks area west of Vegas which are actually beautiful and totally worth the visit.

Common Raven




Ladder-backed Woodpecker

Wild Burro (Feral Ass)!


Spotted Towhee


One of the cute ground-squirrels of the region.  I will ID later.


Juuniper Titmouse!

Anna's Hummingbird.

What an awesome trip!

Paco was so happy to see us when we finally got home and I think George slept in until noon the next day.





No comments:

Post a Comment