Friday, June 23, 2023

Local Stuff (07-16May2023)

I am back from Nova Scotia and have some good material from that awesome province, but for now I need to get caught up on some local birds photographed back in May. In early May, I love to take a trip down to the beach on a morning with good light and have a proper photo shoot with some of the local breeding birds.


American Oystercatcher at Wrightsville Beach.


Willets on breeding territory are probably one of the most annoying birds on the planet.  They will follow you around and constantly call loudly and obnoxiously as if to say "Look here, some idiot is walking around on my beach".

I found a little puddle on the north end in back of where most of the beach walkers were stomping around and got down on eye level with some of my peeps.


Least Sandpiper


Semipalmated Sandpiper


Semipalmated Plover


Black-bellied Plover


Semi Sand


Least Sand


Semis


Wilson's Plover


Least Tern


Common Tern


Painted Bunting at Airlie Gardens.


Great Crested Flycatcher at Airlie.


I planted this Confederate Jasmine some years back over the side fence entrance at my house.  Its coming along nicely.

Jesse the park ranger at Carolina Beach SP had a Red-Cockaded Woodpecker so I hightailed it over.  I didn't find it, but I did get a few other of the more common woodpeckers.


Red-headed Woodpecker


Pileated Woodpecker

Jesse mentioned that the swampy area near the river had a Henslow's Sparrow a couple years ago so I went to give it a shot. Again, no luck but I got some of the good local birds.


Blue Grosbeak 


Indigo Bunting


Northern Cardinal

Next post will be in quickly since I have all my pics from May and June downloaded and ready to go.  


No comments:

Post a Comment