Sunday, September 22, 2019

Colombia Day 5 (01Aug2019)

If you are a photo snob, skip this post.  We started the day on a side road off Camino Gaviotas on the way to Santa Marta.  The habitat was good for different birds but worse for photography due to poor light under thick canopy most of the time.  It was also very early in the morning.


Brown-capped Tyrannulet - this photo was basically black but I was able to lighten up enough that it is diagnostic.


White-bellied Antbird - it is a miracle I even got this shot.  The bird happened to jump into a hole in the foliage and only I was seeing it out of a large group of people.  I think most of them ended up seeing glimpses of it eventually.



Scrub Greenlet


Lance-tailed Manakin!


White-winged Becard


Lesson's Seedeater


Golden-fronted Greenlet record shot.


Pale-breasted Thrush


White-necked Puffbird


I was taking photos of this Orange-chinned Parakeet and had no idea a Blue Dacnis was photobombing until days later when I was looking through the photos.


One-colored Becard female....


And the male...


The Chivi Vireo is basically a local version of the Red-eyed Vireo.


Rufous-tailed Jacamar


Buff-breasted Wren

We stopped one more time at the same riverside restaurant Las Acacias that we stopped on the way to the Guajira and I finally got a decent Bicolored Wren pic.







This Orange-crowned Oriole was the only one I photographed the whole trip.  Note the orange head is a different hue than the body.



Yellow-headed Caracara


Bare-eyed Pigeon


Blue-headed Parrot fly-by.  I only just realized this was a species we did not have on the group list.  It seems I was the only one who saw it.  Most folks were probably eating when I saw it.

That afternoon we checked into a nice hotel in Santa Marta so we could leave early the next morning for the mountains.  The hotel was nice but the birding was not too good.  Most folks were relaxing and catching up on Zs but I was determined to not waste any time while in Colombia.


Yellow Oriole


Scaled Dove


Tropical Kingbird


Orange-chinned Parakeet



Ruddy Ground Dove


Great Kiskadee


Great times!  Next installment, the mountains!

1 comment:

  1. Loved the jacamar and looking forward to your report from the mountains - either inland or along the coast. Don't forget to post a few general scenery pictures!

    ReplyDelete