Monday, November 12, 2018

Rarities and Crushes (05-11Nov2018)

What an amazing week for rare birds and some nice crushes.  That being said I only added one bird to the year list.


As soon as I saw this gull with red bill and feet I knew my old friend the Black-headed Gull was back.  And this time he is an adult bird.





Merlins are everywhere lately.



A Roseate Spoonbill at the Aquarium pond at Fort Fisher was an interesting find.


Boat-tailed Grackles at FF


Blue-gray Gnatty





Sharp-shinned Hawks have been showing up everywhere lately.



Saturday I headed early to take the ferry to Shackleford Banks.  I figured it was about time for the Bar-tailed Godwit to show up again and the tides were perfect.  High tide was 9:30am which was just when the first ferry left.


First I found the Long-billed Curlew...



A late Wilson's Plover or maybe a winter resident.


Then mixed in with the shorebird flock waiting out high tide, I noticed my little godwit...


Bar-tailed Godwit in center.









Western SP


Dunlin




Sunday I spent most of the day looking for a Franklin's Gull that an out of state birder found on Saturday at Fort Fisher.  When I couldn't find it at FF, I reasoned maybe it flew to Southport.  Nothing in Southport so I headed to Ocean Isle as I have seen them there before.  At the east end of OIB, I noticed a large congregation of gulls over on the west side of Holden Beach.  So off I went, another 45 min drive only to find the west end of HB is gated and the only way to get to the west end is a 3.5 mile hike on the beach.  So off I went... and when I finally got there most of the flock was gone and this guy was sitting on the beach.




Peregrine Falcon

All in all I think I walked about 11 miles on Sunday.


A Laughing Gull doing a Franklin's Gull impersonation.

2 comments: