Sunday, November 4, 2018

Mountains to Sea (02-04Nov2018)

Friday I made the mad dash up to Warren Wilson to try for the Baird's Sandpiper.  I had actually been expecting this species to show up as I have been reading a blog from Nova Scotia and they only had their first Baird's recently.


Baird's SP - It took about an hour to find it as it was not in the newly planted field, instead it was cavorting with the pigs.



I also found this Dunlin!  Another good bird for the mountains.


Baird's on left and Dunlin on right.


Unfortunately I was not monitoring my phone enough and I missed a posting regarding some Franklin's Gulls in Brevard.  I decided to stay the night in Brevard at a hotel because it was really cold and sleeping in my truck was not looking fun.

First thing in the morning I checked Ecusta Pond but the Franklin's were no where to be found.  So when given lemons, make lemonade.  I was in the mountains and it was peak fall foliage so I decided to try my luck driving up to the parkway and hoping to see a Ruffed Grouse.


Conestee Falls - I actually went here because I saw a lake on the map and I figured maybe the gulls were here but it was a private lake and this waterfall was public and next door.





This squirrel and a very large accipiter that went flying through the trees at a million miles an hour were the only two life forms stirring up at elevation on Mount Pisgah.  I was freezing! First thing that went through my head when I saw that accipiter was Goshawk but the view was too brief and I can't be sure.


Oh and this Savannah Sparrow.

I headed back to Warren Wilson hoping for better photo ops of the Baird's and unfortunately it was still too far off to properly crush.


Baird's SP




White-Crowned Sparrow


On Sunday back home it did not take long to find a nice flock of swallows at Fort Fisher.


Most were Barn Swallows....


When I saw this one I immediately thought Cliff, as the rump was very light colored but now that I researched it a bit, young Cave's will also have a rump approaching Cliff.


Hmmm... the throat was dark on this one.. Would love to hear opinions.



This on the other hand was definitely a Cave.  Nice dark cinnamon color on rump.



Cave




Cave Swallow





Barn


Bank!



OMG! Finally a picture of a Sharp-shinned.  Took me long enough.  It actually made a couple flights at the swallows. Note the squared off tail and short neck.


The variation between Cave Swallows was pretty pronounced.




Hmmm Cliff Swallow?



Bank




Some of the Cave Swallows had very light throats.

Not a bad weekend for November.  I am on track for something pretty amazing..

2 comments:

  1. Were those Cave Swallows self found? I spent some time studying a nice flock of swallows yesterday and had four species, which is quite nice for Mecklenburg. Cave Swallow would be a lifer for me (kind of, I've seen them several times before getting into birding), and it's one of those I'm not really sure I could call without some good photos. They just don't like to keep still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, certainly I have found them before.

      Delete