Monday, January 17, 2022

Brunswick County CBC (02Jan2022)

Sunday we had the Brunswick CBC and I was assigned my usual turf around Boiling Spring Lakes.  On the way down I saw some Fox Squirrels on the side of the road so I just had to stop and say hi.


Black is beautiful.

First stop was the Olde Brunswick Store nature trail where I was successful in picking up a family of RCW.


Red-cockaded Woodpeckers seem to be on the mend in this neck of the woods thanks to a billionaire named Louis Bacon.  He bought the Orton Plantation and has been restoring Long Leaf Pine habitat and may have even brought in some RCWs. Last time I did the count I couldn't find any RCWs so he must be doing something right.  Andrew Carnegie once said he spent the first half of his life making money and the second half giving it away.  I would probably alter that to the first half stealing money and the second half offering penance.  In my eyes hedge fund managers are essentially stealing money from unwitting investors that don't have the time and know-how to work the markets.  Totally legal but a bit nefarious none the less.  

I spent the majority of time at the nature trails behind the BSL Community Center or now the Cougar Country Frisbee Golf Course.


Downy WP


Blue-headed Vireo


Brown-headed Nuthatch 


House Wren


Eastern Phoebe


My next assignment was Airport Rd in Southport.  Nothing really notable to report.


Black Vulture

The pond at Fish Factory Rd was not my assignment but I couldn't resist.


Common Gallinule

After completing my assignments, I took a ride down to Ocean Isle Beach to check the wastewater treatment plant and see if the Franklin's Gull was still around.  It wasn't but I found some cool shrooms..


Peach Colored Fly Agaric or Amanita persicina - these have some neurotoxic compounds and are related to Amanita muscaria which is the quintessential mushroom you can see in pop culture references.



I am not bold enough to try them...


Ruddy Duck


Ring-necked Ducks, one Lesser Scaup and some Buffleheads.

Final stop of the day was the Battleship on the way home.


Probably a Clapper but who knows if it has some King it it.  The ones at the Battleship are probably mostly hybrids (Clings).


Wilson's Snipe

Not bad for one day's haul.






No comments:

Post a Comment