Thursday, January 27, 2022

Vesper City and a False Alarm (17-18Jan2022)

My patch lately has been to the south end of Wrightsville Beach, also known as Masonboro Inlet.  This is mainly because it only takes me about 15 minutes to get there, and I love seeing sunrise to start the day.


Common Loon


Western Sandpiper

On MLK day I decided to try the sparrow fields at Blue Clay Rd as Sam had some luck recently.  I usually get out there several times in the winter.  I could hardly believe the numbers of sparrows I found and specifically the amount of Vespers with over 20!


Even though it was windy, the Vespers were super cooperative and perching for me on the corn stubble.


Plenty of Savannah Sparrows too.


Vesper


Younger looking Vesper.


Savannah


Chipping Sparrow - I couldn't find the Clay-colored Sparrow this time that Sam had but it was a good session none the less.

Tuesday morning at sunrise I hit up my patch at Masonboro Inlet and had this interesting loon....


It immediately got identified as a Pacific, but later in looking at the pictures I noted the amount of white showing in the flanks warranted a second look especially in light of a recent potential record of an Arctic Loon on the outer banks.


I took many photos but this is probably the best quality one.  The white on the flanks was prominent but did not peak at the back which is what is expected on an Arctic Loon.  So it is confirmed, Pacific it is.  Still a good bird for our area.


Bonaparte Gulls are starting to show but still in small numbers.








No comments:

Post a Comment