Monday, January 24, 2022

The Long Way Home (08-09Jan2022)

In my bird addled mind, since I was in Conway, SC getting the Slaty-backed Gull, I reasoned that I would take the long way home and go through Charlotte.  Anyone that knows geography would question this reasoning but for me it makes perfect sense.  I had contacted Jeannie of Bullock's Oriole fame to inquire about coming for a visit. She was super nice and extended an invite to her back yard feeder set up.  So that is where I spent a couple hours which honestly flew by pretty quickly because she had so many other birds to look at while I waited.


Brown Creepers were abundant in Jeannie's yard.


White-breasted Nuthatches are few and far between in Wilmington, so I was happy to re-acquaint myself.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Then this beauty finally showed.


Bullock's Oriole


I thanked my patrons and headed out to try for the Western Grebe at Coddle Creek but was disappointed that it was so far on the reservoir that it was essentially out of photographic range.

Sunday was a beautiful day spent in my usual local haunts.


Masonboro Inlet had a huge flock of Tree Swallows show up feeding over the sand.



Black-crowned Night-heron - Airlie Gardens is always worth a visit when it is too cold for the masses.


Carolina Chickadee


Orange-crowned Warbler


Anhinga


Double-crested Cormorant


Cedar Waxwing


Red-headed WPs are scarce in the winter, especially adult plumaged birds.


Baltimore Oriole


Osprey


Black-and-white Warbler


Golden-crowned Kinglet


Praise be!


No comments:

Post a Comment