Sunday, January 9, 2022

Xmas in Paradise (24-29Dec2021)

The weather over the second half of my holiday vacation was perfect.  70's with a nice ocean breeze.  I went surfing, fishing, snorkeling, spear fishing, running and hung out with the fam.  Of course I managed to get some birding in here and there.


Bananaquit


Yellow-crowned Night-heron


Thick-billed Vireo


Black-faced Grassquit


Some of the Thick-billed Vireos are really yellow.  I was being vigilant because Cuba is not too far away so a Cuban Vireo would be possible.


And here is why it is good to be vigilant!  West Indian Whistling-ducks have only one report in eBird for Eleuthera.  I knew they were possible because my brother had seen them before.  I lifted on these in Cuba, but it was good to get them as a Calypso yard bird.


I tried bushwhacking to get closer but the mangroves are thick and difficult to maneuver through. Next time I will launch the kayak.


Prairie Warbler


Greater Antillean Bullfinch


Black-faced Grassquit perched in one of my favorite trees, a Norfolk Pine.  Much of the trees in Eleuthera are exotics including the Australian Pine or Casuarina.


American Redstart


Smooth-billed Ani


I can watch Great Lizard Cuckoos for hours.  They are super tame and allowed me to follow them around on their foraging trips through the garden, looking at me occasionally with curiosity and no fear.


Julia Butterfly


Black-faced Grassquit

It was a great trip and somehow we made it home with no major issues. Here are just a couple non-bird pics.


Our small family unit at our favorite island restaurant, Tippy's.


Ten Bay Beach


My brother and fished off of the cliffs at the Glass Window and I caught something huge that broke my line.  It was probably 4 feet long and looked torpedo shaped, so probably a Barracuda, Wahoo or Tarpon.   These cliffs plummet to really deep water so deep sea fish are possible.  My brother landed his Amber Jack.

Great times.


No comments:

Post a Comment