Sunday, April 9, 2017

April Showers Bring..... Warblers (02-09Apr2017)

Some of the migrants are starting to show, and I still have plenty of NH County birds to clean up.


Oddly enough it has taken me 3 months to get a picture of a House Sparrow.





Clean up on Aisle 5 - European Starling.


Hormones are starting to run rampant and otherwise peaceful Ruby-crown Kinglets have been battling.


Eastern Towhee - Another common bird that does not want to pose for my camera.


Palamedes Swallowtail



Phaon Crescent - i think....


American Lady?


One day this past week I took the family for a walk at CB State Park.  We had no birds for the 2 mile or so walk and then upon arrival back at the truck the bushes started to explode with warblers and migrants.  Mostly Yellow-rumps but a few good warblers too.


An early Prothonotary Warbler.



Yellow-throated Warbler


Painted Bunting


Another day I took a nice drive on the spit.


This Clapper sure had a lot of color...... could it be?  In the marsh?


Would like to hear if anyone thinks this could be a King.


Prairie Warbler at CB State Park


This poor Great Horned was betrayed by a murder of crows.


Hairy WP - I am fairly certain now that this is a breeding pair at CB State Park which is great because Hairy WPs are not easy to come by in New Hanover.


This RC Kinglet was too close, I had to back up and unfortunately he left before I could properly crush him.


Worm-eating Warbler - CB State Park has been hopping...



Chimney Swift - late evening at Wade Park.


The Scoters at Coquina are hanging around but no sign of the Harlequins.


Record shot of an Eastern Meadowlark for my NH list.


Least Terns are back in full force on the North end of WB.


Another easy peasy clean up bird - Sanderling.



Whimbrel


Garbled Modwit


Bonaparte's Gull - I might just start a Birds Pooping page.  It's been done in the blogosphere before, but I never claimed to be a pioneer. Or have I?


There were quite a few Bonaparte's coming into breeding plumage but this one took the cake.



Sandwich Terns


Sam really wanted to see some Rock Doves so we went to the Pier.


Ok now I am getting lazy - Brown Pelican.

After George's games on Saturday I took a drive to Blue Banks Loop Rd. to try and find some Swallow-tailed Kites.  I dipped but added some other year birds.


Cattle Egret



Eastern Kingbird


Northern Rough-winged Swallow doing his best Bank Swallow impression.

Now off to the mountains!  Its early but the elementary school system obviously did not have bird migration in mind when they set up the kids' vacation schedule.

Hope that damn swan is still around, have not seen posts for over a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment