Sunday, January 7, 2018

Bombogenesis (04-06Jan2018)

Usually the news media hypes up weather events way too much but this time they weren't kidding.  It has been freaking cold! For a long time too.  In the past we have had cold snaps and some snow here and there, but since it snowed on Thursday it has only creeped above freezing a couple times and the wind chill has brought it to 5 above zero Fahrenheit which is really not normal for southeastern NC.  My driveway is still a big sheet of ice. So although my heart breaks for my feathered friends in this weather, it was an opportunity for me to get looks at them that I have not had in a long time.

This is what we woke up to on Thursday morning.


My house before my kids came out and marred the virgin snow.  I am really worried about the creeping fig I had growing around my garage.  I finally had it almost completely around the garage door and I think this cold weather is going to kill it all off.


Not to mention my poor Live Oak.  All the branches were drooping down almost to the ground.

So first thing I threw out some seed on the snow and it did not take long for the critters to come out.


This squirrel was keeping the birds away for a while.


Hoarfrost on the Long-leafed Pines.


White-throated Sparrow


One of my several hummers a little confused by the snow.  Presumed Ruby-throated.


Downy Woodpecker


My Baltimore Oriole that has been coming for the past several weeks.


Blue Jay


Mourning Dove.



I have had to bring in the feeders at night due to the cold and as soon as I bring them out in the morning my hummers are fueling up.  I have one that has a really short tail but other than that field mark seems to be a RTHU.


Here she is from underneath.  Wings longer than tail.


Robert Downy Jr.


Carolina Wren


Look at those wing tips!  If I were going to call this a Calliope she would have to have more rufous on flanks, some white above the gape and some rufous in the tail.  So I am not going to call it, she remains a RTHU with a worn tail.


Tufted Titmouse

So that was all while working in my office and looking out my window with some short breaks outside.

On Friday, things got more interesting.... My buddy Sam called with a Woodcock in his yard.


Last time this happened was in 2014 where I saw 50 Woodcocks on lawns in Oak Island after a ice storm.


Something (not me) scared him and he opened his big old bug eyes.  I love a Woodcock!



Yellow-Rumped Warbler



Female Baltimore

While we were standing there, Sam's daughter was amused with two grown men oogling some birds so she took this picture.


I still had some time so I went over the the Cross City Trail to see what the snow would bring.


Eastern Towhee - he looks pretty mellow.


But his wife looked pissed!  I guess she is not a cold weather kind of gal.


Brown Thrasher


Ring-necked Ducks

Later in the afternoon I headed to Wrightsville Beach.


A large flock of Cedar Waxwings were hanging out in you guessed it... a Cedar.


Tons of berries (seeds?) on this Red Cedar.

On the beach, the Gannet show was amazing. At least 8000 of them as far as the eye could see from North to South.


Then finally I took a ride to the airport and Blue Clay Rd to see if I could find some Long Spurs or Snow Bunting.


American Pipit were everywhere and provided crushable views on the driven snow.


I swear that this guy/gal was sledding.


Over on Blue Clay, I had some rednecks to thank for tearing up a field with their 4x4.


Hello Mr. Wilson's Snipe, I can see you..



Dang Pipit photo-bombing my best shot.

Here are some photos from Saturday which was also spent chasing cold birds.  I was busy spending some quality time with my wife watching movies and staying warm when a friend called.  A Western Tanager was coming to a feeder just over the New Hanover county line.  That was enough to get me going and brave the icy roads.


This Hermit Thrush entertained me while I waited for the star of the show.


WOW!! A gorgeous Western Tanager.


Be careful, this is a dangerous bird.  The red around the face is from it's last victim.  They don't like to be bird watched.


Just when my friend let his guard down, the Tanager swooped in lightning fast and pecked his eyeball out.  I cowered in the bushes while my friend screamed in agony but managed this shot of the Tanager finishing the jelly that was his eye.  It reminded me of Shakespeare's King Lear when Cornwall pops his servant's eye out and says "Out, Vile Jelly!".


Don't worry folks, I was just kidding.  Dave still has both eyes.


This archilochus was interesting.  She kept pumping her tail while sitting there, but the bill was not long enough for my fancy.

So now that I was out and about in this winter wonderland, I thought I might as well take a drive over to Sutton Lake to see if any ducks were around.  The Triangle was having an influx of ducks and I love a good duck.


Chipping Sparrow - The new fence around the perimeter of the toxic ash pits of the steam plant are great for Sparrows.  At least they are good for something.


Song Sparrow


Orange-crowned Warbler - I will have to improve my shot of this species but might as well put him/her up on the board.


Now the Golden-crowned Kinglets were much more cooperative.


These birds are so cute and the light was perfect so I could not help myself and snapped a bunch.









The Ruby-crowned Kinglets were plentiful but not as photogenic.


Fox Sparrow!! I don't get these in the county very often so was tickled pink with this one.



A final stop for the day at Fort Fisher yielded this nice White-winged Scoter relatively close to shore.



White-winged Scoter on left and Black Scoters on right.


A female Black Scoter in a male sandwich.


True love.

Now let's have a moment of silence for all the little birdies that perished in this cold weather.  Lord knows they already have a tough life.......


3 comments:

  1. Good morning, Jamie! And Happy New Year! Yeah, brutal weather for the birds as well as the birders. I really enjoyed this blog entry of yours - good story line and great photos. QUESTION: What are the two ducks with the white oval cheeks that you have near the bottom of the blog? They are between the photos of the White-winged Scoter and the Black Scoter but they image has no caption underneath it. I have my idea what they are but I want to make sure I am right.

    KUDOS on the Western Tanager. So glad someone was able to give you the heads-up and the exact location. I realize it is in a private place and the owners don't want hordes of birders descending upon them... but birders will still be poking around in the general vicinity. I've heard that some ebird reports now have a flag called "Sensitive" - it appeared when I ID'd a PABU in Florida last week at Gemini Springs park. I think the "Sensitive" flag allows the reporter to still see his bird but other birders don't see it -- only ebird researchers. I will have to read about this on ebird, I guess.
    I've had a rough start to 2018 - not only this cold weather (6F in Raleigh this morning!) but my back decided to act up on Friday and it is still bad. At least it isn't beautiful birding weather when my back is bad, but I really hope BOTH improve this week. I am itching to get out and lead some Wake Audubon Meetup birdwalks. Plus, I have to get to work this week. (Working 12 hours on Friday the 5th is part of the reason that my back is still sore on Jan 7; it needed a day of rest and it didn't get it, and now it is mad at me!)
    Erla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erla, they are Bufflehead! Thanks for the tips on flags. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to still have hummingbirds everywhere! Do they regularly overwinter in Wilmington?

    ReplyDelete