Thursday, February 1, 2018

Baby Steps (23Jan-01Feb2018)

The past couple weeks have been slow for birds.  Life has reared its ugly head in a combination of work and family commitments including a weekend soccer tournament in the rain.  Here are some random pics from some short forays before and after these commitments.


White-winged Scoter - keep this in your mind's eye.  The white area behind the bill is round.


Cooper's Hawk at Kure Beach


Buffy nape and rounded tail.


Harrier


Great Blue Heron


Northern Flicker at Airlie Gardens


Fox Sparrow at Airlie - my second for the year.  Last year I couldn't buy one.


Cooper's Hawk - I lead a Carolina Bird Club trip for the winter meeting on Friday but found nothing special.


Winter Wren - this was the one success story from my kid's soccer tournament in Charlotte.  Seen at McDowell Park.


Back home this Oriole had me thinking I had a Bullock's.


A decent eye line and white belly, but the auriculars were just not colorful enough to convince me.  So Baltimore it is.


The waves were good at Wrightsville Beach Sunday evening.


Tricolor Heron


Blue-headed Vireo at Fort Fisher


Ruddy Turnstone


Northern Gannet


Red-shouldered Hawk (Corrected by Sam).


Surf Scoter - finally I found a Surf Scoter at Fort Fisher today.


The white area behind bill is more vertical and the bird sat higher up on the water than a White-winged.



It's pelagic time this weekend!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment