Saturday, April 21, 2018

Colorado Day 2 (26Mar2018)

Day 2 of my Colorado adventure started well positioned in Craig, CO.  I had obtained coordinates from an unnamed source for a good Greater Sage Grouse lek and somehow convinced my family to wake at 5am to go witness this amazing display.  We arrived well before light and while my family watched a movie in the car, I walked around listening for signs of grouse.  It was very cold but after a short walk I started hearing them.  The bubbling display calls are remarkable and instantly transported me to a world unknown to me.


Two males face off while the covey of females watch or feign disinterest.


The filling of the airsacs and strange dance had me staring more than the females.


I was able to get my family out and we all watched the scene in awe.












Ummmmm...... That's some serious chicken breast.


I should have taken more scenery shots too. A beautiful place.


Plenty of game backed up the signs we saw entering Craig as the sportsman's heaven.


But as usual I was more interested in the birds.  Horned Lark.


Sandhill Crane


Sage Thrasher


Pronghorns


Our next destination was the Black Canyon of the Gunnison which is Colorado's version of the Grand Canyon.  Of course on the way I had to hit the brakes a few times.


Common Mergansers


Mountain Bluebirds abounded.


Townsend's Solitaire in the Black Canyon.


Cassin's Finch!!!



Cassin's Finch female.



Spotted Towhee


Woodhouse's Scrub Jay



This river at the bottom of the canyon undoubtedly had some American Dippers but the trails to the bottom were still closed for the winter due to icy conditions.


Common Raven


"Nevermore"


Not sure about the species of Prairie Dog.


Mountain Bluebird


I heartily recommend the Black Canyon.  I plan on going back.

More Colorado fun in another post.  I'm hungry and need to raid the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Jamie! What a singular and powerful experience. Fantastic shots.

    P.s. nice touch, air-brushing out the chicken nipples

    ReplyDelete