Saturday, April 7, 2018

Spring Cleaning (22Mar-07Apr2018)

Spring offers a feeling of renewal or awakening.  Frequently this leads to the desire to freshen up our homes, hence the term Spring Cleaning.  I for one power washed my back porch today.  I hope the pollen is done dropping.  I have also been undertaking a different kind of spring cleaning. After the doldrums of March, the floodgates open with migrants starting to pour in and I have been cleaning up so to speak.  Not to mention I went to Colorado for a week over Easter.  But first a couple random pics from before my vacation.


Anhinga at Orton Pond.


Bald Eagle at Orton Pond


Merlin perched on a favorite snag down the street from me.


Common Loons are spiffing up before they take off for their fresh water haunts in breeding season.

Here is a little taster from Colorado:


Black-billed Magpies were everywhere.

The rest of my Colorado pics will come in my next installment.

Here are some birds from back home this past week.


Northern Parula at Lee Buck Rd in Brunswick County.




Yellow-throated Warbler at EV Henwood


Red-eyed Vireo at CB State Park


Hmmmm this does not look like any frog or toad I can see on the inter webs for NC.  Anyone know? It was only about an inch and a half.


Purple Martins are back...Kure Beach.



Barn Swallows too.



Prairie Warbler at Alligator NWR.  I headed up to the OBX to get a Trumpeter and stopped along the way.



Peter Vankevich the owner and writer for the Ocracoke Observer helped me locate the continuing Trumpeter Swan on the south end of Ocracoke. It was feeding in the muck so it's head was all muddy.


Nice big honker.  I didn't hear it call but Peter confirmed he has heard it many times and it is the only swan around.  Apparently Ocracoke does not get many Tundras at all.  This Trumpeter has been around for at least a couple months.


Forehead comes down to a V instead of a higher bridged U.  Plus look how big and wide that bill is.


Peter says it appears healthy and he has seen it fly.


Just stretching here.


The space in front of the eyes is wide and all black.  A Tundra would be pinched and with some yellow.




These Glossy Ibis flew in while we watched the swan.


 I checked them all thoroughly for a White-faced but no luck on that.


Back on the ferry I saw a large flock of Brant.  Probably 200-300.



Brant


Prothonotary Warbler at Lee Buck Rd.


Painted Skimmer


Yellow-throated Vireo at Lee Buck Rd.



Tomorrow I am planning a little trip up to Carteret County.

See you in the field!



1 comment:

  1. Hello Jamie, I check your blog every morning, waiting for updates. No pressure. Glad to see you were able to locate and photograph the vacationing Trumpeter Swan. Loved those warbler photos! I will be sure to forward this blog link to several friends for their enjoyment.
    I will write to you via email soon as I have a question about Lee Buck Road and Twin Lakes over in Sunset Beach. Erla

    ReplyDelete