Friday, May 26, 2017

Heehaw! Shiny Cowbird (23-26May2017)

Someone had Black-bellied Whistling-ducks in Brunswick County earlier in the week so I went on the chase....  I dipped... However, I hate not going home with something so I went searching.


This field at Caswell Beach had some good variety after the heavy rain.


White Ibis, Black-necked Stilt, Glossy Ibis and Snowy Egret.



I checked all the Glossies but could not find a White-faced.


The spit still has plenty of shorebirds moving through.  This flock had two White-rumps.  Look closely and you will find the birds with more flecking.


Gull-billed Terns are consistently hanging out at high tide.


The WRSP is just under the Dunlin here.


Hairy WP at CB State Park


Painted Bunting


No time for Dragon ID, will come back to this.


Almost stepped on this Copperhead at CB State Park.




Red Knot at the Spit.


SB Dow

Friday morning I headed to Fort Macon early to try for Marty's Shiny Cowbird.


Brown-headed Cowbirds were there on arrival at 7:20 am.


Painted Buntings too.


But then he showed! Shiny Cowbird.


I took a million photos, will whittle down the list later.... No time.




Although his head was indicative of an adult male, the brown on body would match with a first year brownish male which my Sibley app says is rare?



Nice comparison with a female BH Cowbird.





The grackles dwarfed him.





Good stuff!


duh....


A pee break at Holly Shelter got me this Dragon.  I have to ID later.



Tomorrow I have my kids soccer tourney in Greensboro but I am going to head up to the parkway in the morning and get the Mourning Warbler so I can be there in time for the afternoon game.  No rest for the wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment