Wednesday, May 24, 2017

European Cruise (20-22May2017)

Ever been on Patteson's Cruise Lines?  It's a beautiful thing.  Especially now with his new improved quieter and faster engine.

A stop to Pea Island on the way yielded some White-rumped Sandpipers.  I actually stopped on Saturday afternoon at Lake Landing but a nasty thunderstorm had me turn around shortly after arriving.


White-Rumped Sandpiper

Saturday night I camped at the Hatteras Sands RV park which was pricey for a tent site ($43) but ended up being pretty convenient.  I will probably go there again.

The winds Sunday were slated to be east but ended up being more out of the north.  Certainly better than SW, but not what I was hoping for.  The Monday trip which I was not on ended up being the east wind and was epic.


Audubon's Shearwaters were plentiful.


Black-capped Petrels were present the whole day in and around the slick.



We had a huge contingent of Wilson's Storm Petrels all day.  Take note of the dark underwing and long feet sticking out past the tail.


Corey's Shearwaters are big and lumbering compared to other Shearwaters.



A Common Tern caused a brief stir until it was confirmed to be just that - common.


El Diablotin!



Wilson's SP - note the well defined carpal bar.


And Yellow webbing on feet!  Tiny Dancer hold me closer!


MMMmmmMMmm tasty ocean morsels.



Loggerhead Turtle



This Black-capped threw me for a loop, I thought maybe Bermuda or something with all the gray in the molting feathers but the nape looks to be clearly white.


I can't believe this is the best photo I got of my lifer mammal - Gervais Beaked Whale!  We saw it poke it's head out but I failed on photos.


Corey's Shearwater





Whats that bird with white underwings!  European Storm Petrel!!!!  Kate is a pro and picked this out for us.


Note carpals are almost dark compared to Wilson's.


And no legs dangling or sticking out past the tail.






Ahhhh.... even with not nearly as much diversity as the next day, this bird made it all worth it.  Sweet sweet lifer...


Red-necked Phalarope



Wilson's SP


Audubon's Shearwater


He was flipping up and down off the water like a mad hatter, bit now I see he was flipping sargassum in the air hoping to dislodge a small fish or crab from the sargassum.


Bridled Tern



I am going with Atlantic Bluet on this one but invite any detractors.


Turquoise Bluet

Sunday night I could not make it all the way home, I am knackered after a pelagic.  So I crashed in a cheap hotel in Williamston, NC.  What is near Williamston?  Well Bear Grass of course.  And what is in Bear Grass?  Henslow's Sparrows!!

I ended up hearing a couple and not seeing any around the old VOA site and was not willing to get arrested to get a visual.  I don't generally put heard only birds on my list so I am leaving them off.


Presumed Acadian or Pewee?  I didn't hear it so will remain anonymous.


Bald Eagle





Great trip and I hope I can do again all over again soon.  However, next weekend its up to Greensboro for my kid's Soccer Tourney.  I am going to try to make it to Boone for some more warblers.

No comments:

Post a Comment