Saturday, March 11, 2017

Your Asian (09-11Mar2017)

Fort Fisher has been neglected lately.  I had to let her know I still loved her, so I paid her a visit.


RWBBs are displaying again.




I was walking down the Basin Trail thinking about how rude it was for Sam to get Green-winged Teal in Landfall, knowing very well this riff-raff would never be allowed in that fancy neighborhood.  Then right on cue a large flock of Green-wings took off from the marsh.


Mwuhahahahahah.....




Clapper at the Battleship.


Morning Dove



House Finch


Belted Kingfisher at the Battleship



RT Hawk at Greenfield Lake.

Sam and I took a trip Saturday to Ocean Isle Beach Water Reclamation Facility to look for Taylor's Eurasian Green-winged Teal.  Yes, I am so hard up for new species that I am chasing sub-species hoping for a future split.


I liked how this blurry Greater Scaup came out.  Looks like a painting.


Eurasian Green-winged Teal - It took a while to find him but find him we did.


American Green-winged Teal have a vertical line on the shoulder but Eurasians have a horizontal white line.  There is also a matter of more defined vermiculations (yes I have been waiting all year to use that word).


Who knows maybe the female he is hanging out with is also Eurasian. Or maybe they are just not hung up on race.  Must be nice to be a duck, until an eagle plucks you from the water and disembowels you.


Northern Rough-winged Swallows are back.


American Green-winged Teal


These turtles were totally ganging up on this Alligator.  It was so unfair.


Blue-gray Gnat Snatcher (I am petitioning the AOU to change the name to this)



We went back for a second look to see if we could get any better pics.  Not really...


Loggerhead Shrike




We ended up with over 80 species for the day and I was still back home in time for lunch.

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment