Saturday, September 9, 2017

Oslo (21-22Jul2017)

Here it is, the final installment to my epic 15th Anniversary trip.  After a nice meal of moules et frites in Kristiansand we hit the road for the final leg of our huge loop drive.  Just before dark I spotted this raptor in a field on the side of the road.


Presumed juvenile Common Buzzard




In Olso we stayed at the Clarion Gabelshus.  I highly recommend it.


The best birding spot on eBird appeared to be Fornblu, a peninsula just west of downtown that juts out into the Oslo fjord.


European Blue Tit


Grey Herons


Common Tern


European Golden Plover


Barnacle Goose - a long awaited lifer.






Yellowhammer


Willow Warbler


Eurasian Blackcap


This bird doesn't really match anything in my guidebook but if you pressed me, I would say Mistle Thrush.


European Greenfinch



Another Mistle Thrush?


Common Wood Pigeon


European Greenfinch female


Common Blackbird


Lesser Black-backed Gull


Jackdaw


Fieldfare


European Greenfinches



Common Swift


European Reed Warbler




Cabbage White


White Wagtail

Finally in my last chance at birding I hit a gem of a park called Ostenjovennet east of Oslo.


Barnacle Goose


Eurasian Coot



Ruddy Shelduck - the provenance of this bird is unknown. It has been at this park for a while.




Great Crested Grebe






Another Willow Warbler?


European Goldfinch




Black-headed Gull



Common Swift


Next time I do Iceland and Norway, I am thinking winter birding and Northern Lights.  Hopefully I don't have to wait through another 15 years of marriage before I do.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I am trying to bird around the Burnt Mill Creek area as I live close by, but can't find a place near the creek that's accessible. Is there a entrance/path to Burnt Mill Creek somewhere?

    ReplyDelete