Sunday, September 10, 2017

Bibs and Bobs (13Aug2017-01Sep2017)

Need I say it every year?  I love the fall in Wilmington and NC in general.  With temps in the 60-70s lately we have seen some hints of fall.


Immature Little Blue Heron


Stilt Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs at the north end of Wrightsville Beach.




Lesser Yellowlegs


One of my many Ruby-throated Hummingbirds outside my house.


Rainbow at Wrightsville


Lesser and Greater Black-backed Gulls on the north end.


Here is that weird tern on the right. Turns out it is a Common Tern but maybe of a rare subspecies.



Caspian Tern


Blue-winged Teal at the north end.


Marbled Godwit


Three oblivious idiots or complete jerks?  You choose.  They ducked under the string separating the public part of the beach from the breeding bird section and just walked right across.  This was several weeks ago when there was still Least Tern chicks.  You can see all the Semi-palmated Sandpipers around them and you can just see the fence behind them. I yelled at them from behind the opposite side but they looked at me like I was crazy and just kept going.
 

Willets in the setting sun look like Black-tailed Godwits....


Black Tern



Common Terns



I have never seen so many Black Terns at Wrightsville or anywhere in NC for that matter.  This was just one section of the beach and there was at least 4 or 5 times as many.




5 American Avocets at Fort Fisher was a nice early morning surprise.


Seaside Sparrow


Northern Waterthrush shot between the leaves at Fort Fisher.


One of my front yard hummers.


Another one...




This one's crown was so light I was thinking maybe Black-chinned but it's probably just a Ruby-throated with molting feathers.

After a soccer tournament in Morehead City, my family and I spent a day at Shackleford Banks.


If you have never been, you should put it on the bucket list.  Wild horses and lots of birds make it totally worthwhile.


Reddish Egret



I had at least 4-5 Reddish Egrets, some on the beach and some in the marsh.


Not a bad combo - Reddish Egret, Tricolored Heron and Little Blue Heron.


A great comparison shot of Royal Tern on the left and Caspian on the right.


Caspian Tern


Fort Fisher buck.


Monarchs are back.


Bald Eagle - Record shot of my year bird for New Hanover county.  I actually had one fly over my house the other day but I didn't have my camera ready.  I need to start a yard bird list.


This Garden Orb Weaver had been setting up shot outside my office window the past couple weeks.


A Great Horned Owl one recent early morning at Fort Fisher drying his or her wings after a rain storm.


American Redstart - the invasion has started and if you look closely you can see the aphids on the bottom of the Hackberry leaves at Carolina Beach State Park.


Southern Toad?


No comments:

Post a Comment