Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Storm Birds (12Sep2017)

Rubber Ducky, your the one.  You make bath time so much fun....


Red-necked Phalaropes at Fort Fisher.  Unfortunately they split before anyone else could see them.








Black Tern

For lunch I went to the North end of Wrightsville Beach to look for more storm birds and was rewarded with multiple Jaegers.  I only got photos of the one that came in close.


Parasitic Jaeger



Beats me why a Jaeger can scare the crap out of a Caspian Tern.  They are basically the same size.


Looks like he wants to sprout some central tail feathers.





Then I saw a dark tern coming in over the marsh.  I about pooped myself thinking Brown Noddy.


However, it turned out to be a juvenile Sooty Tern.


Here you can see the lighter colored vent.


Forked narrow tail.  Noddy would have a lobular and fat tail.


Another field mark for Sooty Tern is light underwings.


Still a good bird for New Hanover County.


White-Rumped Sandpiper - a little plump looking but I saw it fly and it definitely had a white-rump.

Good stuff, now I hope Jose sends some more goodies. Of course it is a mixed blessing because these poor birds must be exhausted.


No comments:

Post a Comment