Saturday, August 19, 2017

Icelandic farewell (15-16Jul2017)

Dawn the Rosy Fingered blessed the shores of Vestmannaeyjar with her light earlier than I cared to wake for.  So by the time I did wake, it was gorgeous and full sun.  We had a nice breakfast in our B&B/Hotel and set out to re-explore the island and take a hike.


Common Redshanks are very territorial and make a racket like a Yellowlegs while they defend their chunk of rock.


Ms. Redshank was less vocal but stood her ground as well.


Meadow Pipit


Northern Wheatear


This time in the bird blind was in much better light and offered some crushing opportunities for the puffins.  The problem was that they would waddle out of their burrows and then immediately take off making them difficult to photograph.


This image is cropped as the bird was a good 20 yards away.



Living next to the cliffs allow these little butterballs to easily take off and hunt in the waters below.


Just as Melissa took a turn at the blind window a puffin decided to come out right next to the blind.  I snapped these photos over Melissa's shoulder. The crushing that follows would have been even better if I was in position.




Puffins everywhere.



Its hard to see here but these crazy vertical islands had little hunting lodges built on the cliff sides.  Sheep dotted the hill sides as well.  I asked someone at the lighthouse how in the world would they get the sheep or even get onto the islands.  He said there were ropes and pulleys and he has seen them transfer sheep by lowering them in a harness to a boat below.  Sometimes they even use helicopters.

The hunting lodges are seabird hunting basecamps.  Icelanders eat Puffins and collect Kittiwake eggs from the surrounding cliffs.  





Great Skua




One of the highlights was a hike up the 2nd highest volcano Eldfell which erupted in 1973.


A view of the town from the side of Eldfell.


The Princess of Eldfell.



European Oystercatcher


Some random sexy birder.



Psycho sheep.


On the way out of the harbor we bid our adieus and ogled the cliffs once more.


I thought I saw a Thick-billed Murre in the mix, but can't be sure.


Common Murre


Parasitic Jaeger light morph


Razorbill and Common Murre


Common Murre bringing home the bacon.



Another Parasitic this time a dark morph.


Razorbill

Upon entrance to the harbor I spotted a nice breeding plumage Red-throated Loon which is something we don't get in NC.



Red-throated Loon - unfortunately it was pretty backlit so you can't really see the red throat as much as I would have liked.



Great Skua




Common Mergansers - what is more cute than a Common Merganser duckling?  Nothing...



I could take Great Skua pics all day.




Great Skuas sitting on the ground?  Why Iceland is not considered a big summertime birding destination is beyond me.



Red-throated Loon with chick!  Ok so that may be even more cute than a Common Merganser chick.




When I took this photo, I saw the Dunlin but completely missed the buffy bird on the left and only found it when looking at my photos.  Not sure what it is but I thin its something good.  That being said I would never count a photobombed bird I did not see at the time.


As promised, we returned to Seljalandsfoss to get a more close and personal view of the waterfall.


But the waterfalls did not end there.

Skogafoss is another waterfall and it also has some pretty cool hiking opportunities up behind the falls.



An extra bonus is that there were tons of Northern Fulmars circling the falls and perching in the cliff side.


Behind the big tourist attraction of the main falls was a group of smaller but almost as beautiful falls and no one was up there.  Of course I left my camera in the car and ended up seeing my best views of Parasitic Jaegers up there.



On the last morning Melissa went shopping in Reykjavik and I explored a nearby coastal town.


Whooper Swans



Black-tailed Godwit




Redwing


Common Redpoll



Greater Scaup


Last bird of the trip was a female Wheatear.  The male was there too but didn't want to be photographed.

Next stop.... Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment